• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simple DP4 eVerb Question.

Share/Bookmark

Simple DP4 eVerb Question.

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've come begging for help so I thought it was time again to supplicate for advice

G4 1Ghz
    576MB of RAM
    Digital Performer 4.12
    GPO - naturally

I am trying to apply eVerb to my dry GPO tracks. I have my GPO Instrument track outs set to bus 1-2 and my Aux track set with the eVerb but I'm encountering a problem:

When the Aux out is set to bus 1-2 it records to the correct audio track but no eVerb is applied. If I change the Aux out to Built-In I get nothing but some static when recording. When I just play the Aux track out of Built-in, the parts play fine with the eVerb.

And I do remember to change the In of the stereo track I am recording to depending on the out of my Aux track.

Not sure what I'm missing or overlooking. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Clo

Re: Simple DP4 eVerb Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimora
    Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've come begging for help so I thought it was time again to supplicate for advice

G4 1Ghz
    576MB of RAM
    Digital Performer 4.12
    GPO - naturally

I am trying to apply eVerb to my dry GPO tracks. I have my GPO Instrument track outs set to bus 1-2 and my Aux track set with the eVerb but I'm encountering a problem:

When the Aux out is set to bus 1-2 it records to the correct audio track but no eVerb is applied. If I change the Aux out to Built-In I get nothing but some static when recording. When I just play the Aux track out of Built-in, the parts play fine with the eVerb.

And I do remember to change the In of the stereo track I am recording to depending on the out of my Aux track.

Not sure what I'm missing or overlooking. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Clo
    Clo,

It's not clear to me from your post how you are routing the instrument tracks into the aux track containing the reverb plugin. What is the input of the Aux track - bus 1-2? Or, have you set up sends from the instrument tracks, e.g. bus 3-4, and using them as inputs to the aux (reverb) track?

If you are routing the instruments directly into the reverb aux, then if the outputs of the instruments are on bus 1-2, then the inputs of the reverb aux should be bus 1-2, and you'll need a new output bus for the aux track that contains the dry plus reverb audio.

Trond

Red face Re: Simple DP4 eVerb Question.

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    Clo,

It's not clear to me from your post how you are routing the instrument tracks into the aux track containing the reverb plugin. What is the input of the Aux track - bus 1-2? Or, have you set up sends from the instrument tracks, e.g. bus 3-4, and using them as inputs to the aux (reverb) track?

If you are routing the instruments directly into the reverb aux, then if the outputs of the instruments are on bus 1-2, then the inputs of the reverb aux should be bus 1-2, and you'll need a new output bus for the aux track that contains the dry plus reverb audio.

Trond
    Hi Trond thanks for responding!

Yeah that's all abit difficult to describe so I took a snapshot of my DP session:

http://no_music.tripod.com/pix/Clo_eVerb_Question.pdf

The Aux and GPO Instrument tracks are towards the bottom directly after all the MIDI tracks. I tried to give you what you suggested a try but I don't think I understood it all that well

Hope the PDF explains it a little better!

Clo,

I see your problem: The input to your aux (reverb) strip is the same as its output - namely bus 1-2 in both cases. This is not desirable, to say the least :-)

I suggest you do a little 're-connecting'.

Create a new stereo aux track, and call it 'Master'. You'll want to route everything into it. It will be the only strip to output to your audio device,so its output should be set to 'Built-in Audio 1-2'. With this new master track, you have a volume control for the final mix. It's also a place you could insert EQ, a compressor/limiter, whatever.

Use bus 1-2 to route all the desired tracks into 'Master'. In other words, everywhere that you currently have an output set to 'Built-in Audio 1-2', change it to bus 1-2.

Set the input to 'Aux' to bus 3-4. This is how you will route your reverb sends. The reverb you are using in aux should be set to 100% wet.

Now, on each track that you want to have some reverb, go to your mixer and create sends. For each track, you'll want a mono send to bus 3, and a mono send to bus 4 (together they give you a stereo send). You can now dial in different amounts of reverb for each and every instrument, by how far you turn the 'send knobs'. More send for the french horns, less for the 1st violins, and so forth.

Hope this is all understandable. Work your way through it, and you'll have a powerful and flexible mixer setup in DP.

Trond

It worked! Thanks a ton! I knew something was screwy with having the same bus for the input and output, I just didn't know how to correct it. Thanks again Trond!

Trond,

It seems that you are creating an a small unnecessary level of complexity (not that it won't work, and in some situations would be desirable). There is no need to create an a new aux bus to function as the master, just keep everything assigned to the main audio outputs - then you can create a Master Fader (Cmd-ctrl-M) for the main outputs for final level control or any stereo mix bus processing.

so basically, it should be like this:

audio track 1 -> output 1-2 (send 1->bus 1 / send 2->bus 2)
    audio track 2 -> output 1-2 (send 1->bus 1 / send 2->bus 2)
    audio track x -> output 1-2 (send 1->bus 1 / send 2->bus 2)

bus 1-2 -> aux track (reverb) -> output 1-2

master fader -> output 1-2

Quick DP Tip: use the Audio Assignment window for quickly re-routing multiple tracks. For example, select all your audio tracks, press option-A, and you get a small window which allows you to assign inputs, outputs and/or voices for all the selected tracks simultaneously.

This can also be a quick way to see if you have enough voices enabled in your studio size setup...select all active audio tracks, then use the audio assignment box to switch them from automatic to consective starting with voice 1 (or S1)...then look at the voice column in the tracks window, if it gets to your last voice and starts over at 1 or S1, then you need to assign more...you can easily see how many additional voices are required.

Go Back to forum