• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GPO Benchmark

Share/Bookmark

GPO Benchmark

A week or so ago, I proposed in the "how many instruments..." thread that we needed a standard benchmark that we could all run, so that we could get a meaningful set of comparible results.

The "how many instruments..." question is one of both memory and CPU. I created a couple of benchmarks:
    1. A Full benchmark, which requires 1GB RAM
    2. A 512K benchmark, which requires about 360K to run.

Tom Hopkins graciously agreed to run the full benchmark on his system. His results are posted here:

The benchmarks are small downloads (300-600K) and take just a few minutes to load and run. They use GPO Studio and Overture SE.

I'll compile the results as I receive them and post a summary to this thread.

EDITED: 8/29/2004

=================================
    How To Load and Run the Benchmark
    =================================

In the following step-by-step procedure, the "xxxx" in the filenames refer to "Full" or "512" depending on which benchmark you are running.

Before you procede, extract the files from "GPOBenchxxxx_yyyymmdd.zip" to a folder of your choice, "MyDocuments", for example.

====================
    Step One: GPO Studio
    ====================
    1. Open GPO Studio
    2. From the "File" menu, click the "Open..." selection.
    3. Using the "Open File" dialog that is presented, navigate to the folder to which you extracted the files above.
    4. Select "GPOBenchxxxx.gpo" and click the "Open" button.

The instruments will be loaded into the studio. You'll know when they have all been loaded when the loading progress bar will no longer show.

====================
    Step Two: Overture SE
    ====================
    1. Open Overture SE
    2. From the "File" menu, click the "Open..." selection.
    3. Using the "Open File" dialog that is presented, navigate to the folder to which you extracted the files in above.
    4. Select "GPOBenchxxxx.ove" and click the "Open" button.

====================
    Step Three: Running the benchmark
    ====================
    The benchmark consists of a series of increasingly polyphonic whole note "chords" played by various instruments. Each chord is given a description in the Overture notation, "WW I", "WW II", "Brass I", etc. These indicate the point at which that group of instruments is added to the mix.

Each time a chord sounds, the CPU meter at the bottom of GPO Studio will show an increase in activity over its "resting" or baseline level. Observe that value--it may jump around a bit--from 8.13 to 9.26, for example. Try to record the value within a percent or so. So for the preceding example, 8.5 or 9 will do.

It will be hard just to let the benchmark play and to record the figures on the fly, even with the 1 measure rest in between the chords. So, with both the Overture SE window and the GPO Studio window visible on your screen:

1. In Overture, hit the space bar to start playing.
    2. Watch the "cpu:" reading on the bottom of GPO Studio. Let the entire "WW I" chord sound, watching the "cpu:" value.
    3. Then, when the chord stops sounding, hit the space bar to pause Overture and record the CPU value for "WW I".

Repeat this all the way through the benchmark.
    Bill

Re: GPO Benchmark

==================
    GPO Bench Full
    ==================

--------------------
    System Configuration
    --------------------
    System Board: Gigabyte 8IPE-1000P
    CPU: P4 2.6 Ghz
    Memory: 2 Gigs
    Disk Drive(s): 20 GB 5400 RPM System (GPO is here), 60 GB 7200 RPM DATA, 80 GB 7200 SATA DATA
    Sound card: M-Audio 2496
    Driver: ASIO Full Duplex (44,100 sample rate)
    Latency: 2408 or 47 ms
    O/S: Windows XP Home

------------------
    GPO Studio Results
    ------------------
    Memory Required: 742 MB
    CPU Idle: 8.85-9.43

WW I: 15%
    WW II: 19%
    Brass I: 26%
    Brass II: 29%
    Strings I: 34%
    Strings II: 37%
    Perc (tutti): 43%
    Tutti Again: 43%
    Tutti Overlay: 43%
    Tutti Vib/Trem: 41%
    Tutti Vib/Trem/Piz: 42%
    Tutti Cacophonia: 47%
    Finis: 53%

==================
    GPO Bench 512
    ==================

--------------------
    System Configuration
    --------------------
    System Board: Gigabyte 8IPE-1000P
    Memory: 2 Gigs
    Disk Drive(s): 20 GB 5400 RPM System (GPO is here), 60 GB 7200 RPM DATA, 80 GB 7200 SATA DATA
    Sound card: M-Audio 2496
    Driver: ASIO Full Duplex (44,100 sample rate)
    Latency: 2408 or 47 ms
    O/S: Windows XP Home

------------------
    GPO Studio Results
    ------------------
    Memory Required: 268 MB
    CPU Idle: 8.81-9.36

WW I: 15%
    WW II: 17%
    Brass I: 20%
    Brass II: 23%
    Strings I: 26%
    Strings II: 28%
    Perc (tutti): 29%
    Tutti Again: 29%
    Tutti Cacophonia: 31%
    Finis: 32%
    Last edited by Joseph Burrell; 08-29-2004 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added 512 Benchmark

I guess I should have posted mine, too!
    ==================
    GPO Bench Full
    ==================

--------------------
    System Configuration
    --------------------
    System Board: K8N Neo Platinum
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Memory: 2GB
    Drives: 80 GB SATA WD system drive; 120 GB SATA WD audio drive
    Sound card: EMU 1820
    Driver: ASIO 24-bit/44.1Hz/Buffer 256K
    Latency: 7ms
    O/S: Win XP Pro SP1

------------------
    GPO Studio Results
    ------------------
    Memory Required: 813K
    CPU Idle: 8.07-8.91%

WW I: 14%
    WW II: 18
    Brass I: 23
    Brass II: 26
    Strings I: 31
    Strings II: 34
    Perc (tutti): 41
    Tutti Again: 41
    Tutti Overlay: 41
    Tutti Vib/Trem: 39
    Tutti Vib/Trem/Piz: 38
    Tutti Cacophonia: 47
    Finis: 50

and thanks, Joseph
    Bill

==================
    GPO Bench Full
    ==================

--------------------
    System Configuration
    --------------------
    System Board: I'll look this up later
    Memory: 1GB
    Disk Drive(s): -
    Sound card: EWS MT88
    Driver: ASIO
    Latency: 11.6ms
    O/S: Win XP Sp1

------------------
    GPO Studio Results
    ------------------
    Memory Required: 8123 I guess
    CPU Idle: 11.77-12.01

WW I: 19
    WW II: 24
    Brass I: 31
    Brass II: 36
    Strings I: 42
    Strings II: 45
    Perc (tutti): 52
    Tutti Again: 51
    Tutti Overlay: 52
    Tutti Vib/Trem: 49
    Tutti Vib/Trem/Piz: 51
    Tutti Cacophonia: 58
    Finis: 59

There's a lot going on in the background (Antivirus, Firewall, Messenger etc.), so the marks should be a little lower on a comparable syste that's trimmed for audio only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Klaren
    There's a lot going on in the background (Antivirus, Firewall, Messenger etc.), so the marks should be a little lower on a comparable syste that's trimmed for audio only.
    Ron,
    Thanks for your results.

I agree that with more stuff running on your system, the total available CPU headroom is reduced and can lead to dropouts when competing with the other apps/services.

But, check out Joseph's marks above. Same CPU--P4/2.6Ghz--but he's using a larger buffer size--I think it should actually read 2048--compared to yours, which at 11.6ms/44.1 equates to a buffer size of 512, I think.

I think your CPU marks are higher due to your lower latency setting. At least this is my understanding of this. If you were to increase your latency by increasing the buffer size, I think your CPU levels would drop. But then, you'd get a noticable latency delay.

It's a balancing act...
    Bill

Yah, I don't care about latency since I'm not banging on the keys and even at 47 ms its not noticable during playback when sequenced/notated. I bumped it to give me better performance. I can post benchmarks down to less than 6 ms if you're interested in seeing what the scores would look like.

Hi,

I tried to participate in this, but I'm afraid I don't really know how to do it.

Loaded the full bm into studio, and the .ove into OSE, and was able to see idle CPU at about 12.19-13.6 on Studio. A peak at Windows Task Mgr showed that about 94% of my gig of memory was in use, with the loaded Studio, OSE, (and WTM) running.

But how do you derive the incremental figures for each set of those sets of voices? (What's an .fxb file?) I tried loading the Kontakt players that way, but the program just apologizes and shuts down.

If you wish to provide some instruction on how to do this, I'll gladly follow through.

On the other hand, your data will likely be more reliable if your pool group consists only of people who actually know what they're doing, as I clearly do not.

Michael

The ove file or Overture score is set up so that there are measures that match the instrument groups in the text file where your data is to be entered. What I did was click an empty measure before the one I was to be collecting the data for and then click the play button in Overture, then click on Studio to get it to display in front of Overture and watch the CPU climb. When that measure was done playing, I'd click stop and get ready for the next. Then rinse and repeat.

By George, I think she's got it! Thanks Joseph. I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Michael

Michael,

Sorry for the lack of good instructions, and thanks, Joseph, for jumping in here. I'll edit my initial post in this thread to include step-by-step instructions.
    You'd think that after all these years of software dev and customer support, I would remember to write a decent set of procedures...

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    I tried loading the Kontakt players that way, but the program just apologizes and shuts down.
    If you're up to 94%, you may be starting with 150MB or more memory already in use before you load the benchmark and might be too close to maxing out. Of course this is one of the things the benchmark would reveal.

The Full (1GB) benchmark needs about 830-840MB. The 512 (512KB) benchmark needs about 360MB or so. Try running the 512 benchmark first. If that one works OK, then, before trying the Full benchmark, see if there are any non-essential apps or services running that could be temporarily shut down while you load and run the Full benchmark.
    Bill

Go Back to forum