• Register
  • Help

Topic: Better Fr.Horns Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Better Fr.Horns Ensemble

Which ones would you thisk are better/punchier and more expressive? SAM Horns or EWQLSO Platinum's Horns?

Re: Better Fr.Horns Ensemble

I have SAM horns and EWQLSO Gold, and personally I prefer to use SAM horns when I want the horns to stand out - the EWQLSO horns have a kind of synthy quality I'm not too fond of in louder layers - of course it may sound a lot better with the platinum horns. On the other hand, Sam Horns seem to lack some "bite" in sus samples. This is all just my opinion of course.
    Also, for big Horn ensmble don't foget VSL Epic Horns.

i agree about that strange "hyper metallic" sound in loud layer in EWQLSO horns

I'm using SAM Horns right now in several pieces and they are beautiful!
    haven't got the ewqlso ones, though

its funny, I think that layer is one of the best parts of QLSO. most brass demos I hear lack balls, SAM horns and qlso are the exceptions to this rule imo.

QLSO's french horn highest velocity layer may be to ballsy for most, but its nice they're there, just in case

Quote Originally Posted by mihmar
    Which ones would you thisk are better/punchier and more expressive? SAM Horns or EWQLSO Platinum's Horns?
    VSL's Epic Horns, no doubt.

uh,

dont forget Dan Dean's Brass Ensemble horn patches. I still love em. They always seem to have this great "epic" sound to me...especially layered with a tuba.....or...man anything with the wagner tuben in QLSO...sheeesh...THOSE kick my [nss][nss][nss].

but I also love SAM for things, as well as QLSO for others. Sam has this great "live and warm" sound that only the SAM libs have.

those of you finding the synth sound in QLSO gotta remember that horns dont usualyl play that sound as a sustain, its usually as a crecendo accent or an accent on a "portato" type attack. Try to recreate that using the DXF patches.

Same goes with teh DDBE patches. Anything played too long in FFF jsut sounds weird

a nice other trick is to alter the staccatto patches to have a slow attack time then trigger them at/near the end of a crecendo of a DXF patch, you get that nice release/flare that happens in the real world

Also dont forget about SISBrass. That is an interesting lib. I dont have it, so I cant telly ou waht I think of them, but hey...I think SISStrings is awesome

VSL Epic horns sound great in the demos, again dont have, so I cant say what I find I'd be using more of....but to be honest. I've got too much crap to care now. I need to make music.....and its not going to be orchestral stuff you frigging freaks!! Atleast not right now, I'm getting back to my roots baby!!!....no not blond
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

dont forget Dan Dean's Brass Ensemble horn patches. I still love em. They always seem to have this great "epic" sound to me
    Absolutely! The Dan Dean Horn Ensemble patch, especially the ones recorded with some room ambience in them to allow the sound to breathe, are the best around for the epic sound in my opinion. His brass ensemble set is worth the price just to get the horns, thought the other patches in the set are excellent too.

and why nobody says "VSL Brass ? "

With a good programming, it sounds very convincing (don't say it sounds synthy, it's because the guys that are using vsl horns are programming them very badly)
    just listen to jerry goldsmith afo demo on VSL website or MG the battle (in users demos)

and it will be incredible with GIGAPULSE

Go Back to forum