• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Personell" Add-on

Share/Bookmark

"Personnel" Add-on

While we're talking add-ons, let me throw this one out:
    I'd call it "The Personnel Add-on"
    Give us the ability to assign names to the muscians that play the instruments.
    We all have pictures in our minds of what these musicians look like...admit it.
    Each one would have a unique personality type, hair color, sexual orientation, talent level, family, etc.
    We could set the salary, benefits, vacation days, etc. Of course, we can fire musicians, and recruit and hire new ones.
    And have like the flute section as a real pain-in-the-[nss][nss][nss] and you have to be really nice to them and write parts special for them.
    Or maybe have a Cellist that was accident-prone and was always on crutches, etc.
    And a young oboist that was very interested in the conductor.
    Maybe have a way to earn money to buy new instruments, new venues, etc.
    Ideas are coming to me faster that I can write them down, so I'll stop.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Re: "Personell" Add-on

Ha! Garritan Sims Orchestra. Hook it up with EA, Gary!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Talking Re: "Personell" Add-on

I understand you're kidding (d'oh!), but there may be something useful behind that humor. I'm not someone who knows much about online gaming, but can you imagine a 'Sims'-type world that's oriented toward music?

You'd have musician avatars and musician relationships, but the cool (and perhaps even unique) thing would be the addition of actual (rather than SIM-ulated) music!

If someone reading this works in the online gaming industry, or if you just find the idea intriuging, by all means, take it and run with it!

This "SimOrchestra" sounds like an excellent idea for a computer game! You could really get a lot of young ones interested in music with it. I'm majoring in computer engineering, and computer game programming is big hobby of mine (check out my website here - its a bit small and outdated) and if we could create a more detailed techinical game design, I'd love to try to make this a reality. I am not really part of the industry, but this sounds like an awesome game concept. The sound programming would be the hardest part. We could use DirectMusic, since that allows for interactive music (actually it would be a perfect application of DirectMusic) but the music would sound a bit MIDI-ish. What a cool idea!

Thumbs up Re: "Personell" Add-on

Nothing quite like passion to get people moving...I'm glad you like the idea.

I'm sorry, but that to me is the West Seneca Youth Theatre Orchestra!
    Been there, done that.
    Styxx

imagegod - Where's Pinky!
    Styxx

Originally Posted by Styxx

I'm sorry, but that to me is the West Seneca Youth Theatre Orchestra!
    Been there, done that.
    Everybody will know what it's like to be Styxx!

actually, this is a very intriguing idea on many fronts. Presuming that as more and more virtual this and virtual that comes out. We already have virtual drummer and virtual guitar from Steinberg..which alright..they're not the greatest..but the point is this.. If I, as a composer, simply had to notate a string part and the software was capable of playing it back, with humanized realism..that's the goal.

Obviously, over time they will figure out more and more ways to programmatically introduce that humanized realism into the playback of parts. But where it gets interesting in regards to this discussion would be the possibility that someone could buy some software and as it was used over time, these virtual players would get good at playing certain kinds of music that they tend to be given to play a lot, and would develop certain stylistic tendencies, etc.. Eventually a composer would be able to put an orchestra together with the players he wants and his rendition would be unique and different from that rendered by another user of the software using the very same music...by virtue of them having a different evolved set of virtual players....

And like some online gaming communities..eventually...might even be able to trade virtual players with other people or buy them.....
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Thumbs up Re: "Personell" Add-on

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Everybody will know what it's like to be Styxx!
    Virginie! Hey, I have relatives in Virginie. (and they can stay there) Just kidding!
    Beautiful state.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum