• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gonna buy Opus 1 next week..I'm pretty sure..

Share/Bookmark

Gonna buy Opus 1 next week..I'm pretty sure..

Hey folks I'm strongly considering getting Opus 1 next week. I found a pretty good deal on it. I'm just wondering...and pardon me, this might be a dumb question, but... Opus 1 will blow away everything I own right now, right? LOP, SAM, GOS, etc....

I know the true legato is amazing..but my main concern is that most of the performance instruments let you use the modwheel to control expression. I use that allll the time, I rely on it to be there, so I can crossfade p/mp/mf/f. But I assume Opus 1 has that covered, right? Just wanna make sure. And it appears that Opus 1 only gives you p/f dynamics. I suppose even if the performance samples don't let you use the modwheel, I could always program it myself to simply attenuate the volume, kind of a cheap hacky way of doing it.

Thanks..

Re: Gonna buy Opus 1 next week..I'm pretty sure..

Opus1 has wonderful legato for sure but you won't be blown away by the sound I think. The strings sound a little thin so you will want to layer them for a bigger sound. The brass, well, it works for some things but I much prefer my SAM libraries. For the realism in the legato however it can't be beat. I am going to get EWQLSO silver most likely to compliment it.
    As far as layered instruments go on strings you get 4-way mod wheel xfades and on some of the brass you get 2 way. There is also up/dn bowings on the short bows. Performance samples do not let you use the mod wheel. If you use it in Kontakt you could easily copy over the p/f layers together and xfade them.
    Hope this helps.
    Chris

vsl legato is outstanding, especially for brass, you know, you can hear the transition(when the player moves the valve) between the notes.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    Opus1 has wonderful legato for sure but you won't be blown away by the sound I think. The strings sound a little thin so you will want to layer them for a bigger sound.
    I actually like the way the VSL strings sound. The cellos have that thin whine to them that I think they should, which GOS lacks.

For the realism in the legato however it can't be beat. I am going to get EWQLSO silver most likely to compliment it.
    As far as layered instruments go on strings you get 4-way mod wheel xfades and on some of the brass you get 2 way. There is also up/dn bowings on the short bows. Performance samples do not let you use the mod wheel. If you use it in Kontakt you could easily copy over the p/f layers together and xfade them.
    Hope this helps.
    Chris
    Wow. That's almost a dealbreaker for me, not being able to xfade with the modwheel while using the performance samples. I can't imagine playing a violin section line (perf. legato), and not using the mod wheel to fade it out at the end of the passage. I honestly don't know if I'd be happy with that, especially for nearly $1000. I use GigaStudio, would it be possible for me to somehow do some editing to make the modwheel attenuate the volume? I know it's not true expression modulation, but that's fine...as long as I can fade the volume in/out with the modwheel. I've added it before to other samples, and it's not too difficult.

VSL is superb, but I caution anyone thinking that they're getting a silver bullet in a comprehensive sample library. You'll still find great uses for your existing libs as well in my opinion. I think you'll be happy with Opus 1 however.

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    I use GigaStudio, would it be possible for me to somehow do some editing to make the modwheel attenuate the volume? I know it's not true expression modulation, but that's fine...as long as I can fade the volume in/out with the modwheel. I've added it before to other samples, and it's not too difficult.
    Simply assigning expression to your modwheel will let you control volume of the performance legatos. You just won't be able to xfade between different performance layers, beause GS has its limitations here.

This is where Kontakt would work better and it will be available for Kontakt/Halion this fall. Perhaps you should wait to see how the fabled GS3 would be or wait till Opus1 is released in other formats. I plan to upgrade it myself.
    Chris

I got Opus1.. ..TODAY! I did small testing and it's truly a nice package. I think that one should have other libraries too with it. If one uses it alone, it's bit "lite" sounding to my taste. I tried solo legato trumpet with sam trumpets and result was amazing! I was really surprised how good the legato brass sounded.

Now I have AO, all SAM, Opus1, Kirk Hunter Solo strings & VotA and of course they all make good blend. AO+KHSS makes good second violins too

Best

Tapani

Thumbs up Re: Gonna buy Opus 1 next week..I'm pretty sure..

Hmm. OK. Thank you all for your responses. This is a fairly big purchasing decision for me (anything over $700 for me is "fairly big") And obviously once you buy it, you're stuck with it. I'm definitely not looking for Opus 1 to replace what I have.. GOS & SAM (as well as my other libs) have a lot of strong points. I'm sure I'll be using GOS to back up the Opus 1 strings to thicken them a bit sometimes. But you know, almost every time I sit down to compose, I find myself thinking, "Damn it.. I wish I had true legato." I feel that strings suffer the most from lack of legato, followed by woodwinds or possibly brass. So I feel this will just bump up my production quality a bit, and give me a few more instruments I might be lacking.

Let's take an example from the articulations list: BASSOON_perf-leg - Piano and forte performance legato. Am I right in saying that the only way to switch between piano and forte in this case is to have two separate tracks? Just double checking...

Also, I'm very curious to hear the short bows in the violins, violas, and cellos (I guess in Opus 1's case, it would be the staccato). If someone could throw together a quick mp3, I'd REALLY appreciate it. One thing I like about GOS is that it has multiple types of short bows (spiccato, marcato, etc). I don't see those here, but then again, I'm not really sure what sforzato is.

Thanks again!

PS: Kinda disappointing that there are no upgrade deals for Opus 1 except the Complete Orch. Package Pro. It would be nice to upgrade from Opus 1 to Performance Set Pro.

One more question. Pardon my lack of knowledge of proper terminology, but.. in the case of strings, will Opus 1 perform the type of legato where the player switches notes in the middle of a bowstroke, AND will it also do a detache where the player just very quickly changes bow direction and the note right away, without delay between the notes?

Go Back to forum