• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will Stormdrum work in Giga/Sonar setup?

Share/Bookmark

Question Will Stormdrum work in Giga/Sonar setup?

Hi everyone... I was looking over the SoundsOnline website at the many fantastic sample libraries earlier this morning. In particular, I was listening to the EastWest Quantum Leap Stormdrum demos... they really sound great! Okay, so I understand that "Stormdrum" is a VST plugin ... but, I don't exactly understand if one needs to have KOMPAKT/INTAKT installed in the computer to run it.

Because, on this page..... http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=EW-162 .... under "System Requirements," it says Kompakt/Intakt.

So, I guess my question is.... can "Stormdrum" be run as a VST plugin in Cakewalk Sonar? My current system has GigaStudio 160 and SONAR 3 Producer Edition... do I need to install anything else to run "Stormdrum"... if I decide to purchase this wonderful sample library?

Thanks in advance for the help.............. Gary

Exclamation Re: Will Stormdrum work in Giga/Sonar setup?

Anyone, please ?
    ??????????

Re: Will Stormdrum work in Giga/Sonar setup?

Gary,

I'm not a Sonar-user, but assuming it can handle VST-instruments, you won't need anything else. Stormdrum is a library that, like many of today's ROMplers, INCLUDES a plug-in, in this case based on the Intakt-engine, from which you handle all the samples.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Gary,

StromDrum use both VSTi and DXi interfaces. So you can use directly DXi interface in Sonar or you can also use for e.g. Cakewalk VST Adapter to convert VSTi plugin to DXi format. For some peoples have converted DXi plugin better performance than DXi one shipped by NI.

Pro

You won't need Kompakt/Intakt... I think they mean, the Sys Requirements are like Kompakt/Intakt.

Stormdrum works as a VSTi (RTAS and DX as well, IIRC) and comes with a build in player - well, actually two in this case - one for the loops, the other for the multisamples. This library is great so I'm sure you'll love it, heh.

Quick answers:

No SD will not load in Giga.
    Yes SD comes with both customized Kompakt and Intakt interfaces
    Yes SD can be used as either DXi or VSTi (If you have the adapter) in Sonar.

I have the Sonar + SD combo, and its amazing

Smile Re: Will Stormdrum work in Giga/Sonar setup?

Fantastic! Thanks you all for your kind help. I appreciate it very much..... Gary

Also, since you have Sonar 3 - you do have the VST adpater (because it comes packaged with v3).

I found that I am now able to run GPO alongside GS2.5 using Sonar3 as the host, though performance is not so good. I had tried previously with Cubasis VST and then with Bidule as VST hosts, but GPO and GS got their sample rates in a knot.

I think it's best to do your work in GS or Stormdrum alone, then render to an audio track, reboot for good hygene, and start your other sampler - or get a separate machine so the samplers can run independently. In either case you can make music.

-JF

Gary,

All of these NI-Kontakt/Kompakt or NI-Intakt based sample libraries come with what they call an "Instrument" sample player engine. If the library has "regular" samples, the playback engine is based on Kompakt. If the library has "loops", the playback engine is based on Intakt.

Stormdrum appears to be unique in that it has both types of samples, and is therefore bundled with:
    - Stormdrum Kompakt Instrument
    - Stormdrum Intakt Instrument

The easiest way to think of these "instruments" are to think of them as "lite" versions of the samplers themselves. The Stormdrum Kompakt instrument (player) can only play the Stormdrum samples. The Galaxy Steinway Kompakt instrument can only play the Galaxy samples.

Samples from different libraries CAN be loaded into the "full" versions of Kontakt or Intakt.

Go Back to forum