• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Which solo strings work best with GOS?

Share/Bookmark

Which solo strings work best with GOS?

I've been using GOS for several months now and love them. But my solo strings absolutely suck. I'm not even going to mention what library I'm using right now.

I'm going to be buying a new solo string library in about a month or so and I wondered if anyone here has any recommendations for a library that blends well with GOS.

The solo instruments will be used for film scores. Which means anything from a weeping violin/cello to fiddle playing. Mostly it'll be orchestral stuff though. I don't score to many westerns!

And my price range is about $200.

So far, it seems like there's only Kirk Hunter and Dan Dean. Isn't the Dan Dean Solo Strings lib kinda old now?

Thnaks for all your help!

Mark

Re: Which solo strings work best with GOS?

Don't really have recommendations but will share own experience: -- I use the solo strings from Advanced Orchestra; that's all I have. They are pretty flexible, with all the key-switched articulations, and for the most part pretty realistic, but kind of 'harsh' if that's the right word. You can hear the violin solo with GOS in my 'Romance' excerpt, and the violin and 'cello solo in my Piano Trio No. 1, and the string quartet in the two posted String Quartet movements -- all at the music page on www.soundclick.com , direct link here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/guglielmomusic.htm

None of these were written to demonstrate the sounds, of course, they are just the music I write.

I'd welcome other points of view, haven't heard much about solo strings lately, either, and am heading toward more buying in the next weeks and months ...

Guglielmo

Hey Guglielmo

I'm actually using the same solo library! lol!

I find the violin and viola samples sound "nasally" and the cellos sound thin. That's obviously just personal preference. The more recent libraries have instruments that are fuller and "sweeter" - and no, I can't be any more vague in my descriptions! haha

I listened to "Romance" - very,very nice tune! Your GOS string arrangements are beautiful The violin doesn't sound bad at all, but to my ears, if your piece had a nicer violin, it would be incredible and VERY realistic.

Don't you love how subjective music is? lol!

Mark

I used to use AO and now use VSL Solo Strings. It's a couple hundred dollars more but I absoutely love the sound. Going from AO to VSL SS was like night and day. When Garritan comes out with solo strings I'll look at those and ditto for London Solo Strings but right now I feel that VSL SS is much better for my purposes than KH or DD.

If I was going to go with one of those last two though, I'd probably go KH. Also, I haven't heard much yet about it but you might want to take a look at http://truespec.com/store/samplelibr...sq/index.shtml since they sell a $50 Solo string library that might be an improvement over what you have as well as DD, KH and VSL.

XSample makes some solo strings which sound good. I don't have them, but they're on my "maybe" list.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Gary's solo strings are in the works. Expect some surprises...

JW.

Gary's got some solo strings coming out???? Any idea when? If the solo strings are as nice as the section strings, I guess I know what I'm buying!

I checked out the package at http://truespec.com/store/samplelib...ssq/index.shtml , but it seems very basic - no layering of samples from what I can tell.

I haven't checked out the demo MP3 files yet, but KH solo strings sell for $180 at http://www.mtlc.net/main.php?a=scd&S...&Type=&Format= $180 for 8GB of samples is pretty good. I'm leaning towards this lib right now.

Right now VSL would be nice, but it's a little out of my budget right now. I'll have to check out XSample.

Oh decisions, decisions....

Thumbs up Re: Which solo strings work best with GOS?

I rather like the solo strings that are included with Garritan Personal Orchestra. I have also "ganged" two or three of them (there are basically from 1 to 3 solo instruments in each of the strings sections) to make a "small ensemble" or sub-ensemble line occasionally. In addition, there is at least one pizz solo in each. While there aren't as many explicit articulations as in GOS or GOS/Lite, for the price ($249 or $279) it's a bargain!

imho ... KevinKauai

Just ordered the VSL Horizons solo strings -- will report back soon! And maybe redo the Romance with them before recording it with the soloist for whom it is being written.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Just ordered the VSL Horizons solo strings -- will report back soon! And maybe redo the Romance with them before recording it with the soloist for whom it is being written.
    Cool! You'll probably have nothing but praise for those samples!

Go Back to forum