• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3 version of Scarbee RSP

Share/Bookmark

GS3 version of Scarbee RSP

Hi Thomas
    Will you be releasing a GS3 version of RSP...with embedded gigapulse etc?
    Also how is Vintage FX progressing? Is it on schedule for release with GS3.

thanks
    Mal

Re: GS3 version of Scarbee RSP

Is that what's holding up the Vintage Keys? Oh man!!!

I can't remember whether my Rhodes had any "sympathetic resonance" or not,
    but I do know that my Wurlitzer EP200 has quite a lot, and so does the Yamaha electric grand. Neither instruments have a soundboard, as such.

Of course, it's not really sympathetic resonance at all in these instruments - it's simply that the other tines/reeds/strings are "shocked" into vibration by the harp of the instrument. But, the sound is similar in effect to an acoustic piano.

Greg.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Both the Rhodes and Wurlie actually sound great through the GigaPiano resonance model. It is totally different on them than on the Piano, more like a room model, with just the slightest bit of stereo-izing.

Speaker cabinet modeling would be very interesting though. You'd need to do the tremolo elsewhere, as Lee says, but that's easy.

[QUOTE=Bruce A. Richardson]Both the Rhodes and Wurlie actually sound great through the GigaPiano resonance model. It is totally different on them than on the Piano, more like a room model, with just the slightest bit of stereo-izing.
    QUOTE]

Bruce, with a real Wurly, the resonance with the sustain pedal down does sound very similar in effect to an acoustic piano. So does the Yammy electric grand.

And now I'm going to have to wheel my Wurly into the lounge room so I can record it, just to prove it. Thanks very much. ;^) Stay tuned for a little demo.

Greg.

http://www.virtualcreations.com.au/g..._resonance.mp3

As I said, it sounds nothing like an acoustic piano, and everything like a room reverb.

Greg. (very red faced!)

Your face shouldn't be too red. You made a hypothesis, tested it, and found the answer. Heck, maybe you could write a paper for AES!

-JF

Hi,

The 24 bit Giga Version of RSP73 and WEP are almost ready to go - we just wait for Giga release..hehe

It will be similar to the multi 24 bit version - no convolution thing.

Hopefully the Vintage Keyboard FX will work as VST FX in Gigastudio.

cheers

Thomas
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    I can't remember whether my Rhodes had any "sympathetic resonance" or not,
    but I do know that my Wurlitzer EP200 has quite a lot, and so does the Yamaha electric grand. Neither instruments have a soundboard, as such.

Of course, it's not really sympathetic resonance at all in these instruments - it's simply that the other tines/reeds/strings are "shocked" into vibration by the harp of the instrument. But, the sound is similar in effect to an acoustic piano.

Greg.
    Yeah the Wurly has a bit of resonance - but I did some test with it and it doesn't really mean a lot. Ther IS quite a lot of resonance already in the samples and if you play chords these resonances add together and for a sound almost identical to the sound of the original Wurly.

So as for now I will not work on special version for giga. However the speaker thing is more interesting.
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    http://www.virtualcreations.com.au/g..._resonance.mp3

As I said, it sounds nothing like an acoustic piano, and everything like a room reverb.

Greg. (very red faced!)
    You have to understand a little about convolution to know how to use these GP resonance sets. The IR that you use is created on a grand piano. This means the resonance model will respond in a way that represents the way the body with the strings under tension behaves when an impakt hits the body. Now this frequency spectrum will have frequencies for the body plus frequencies for all indiviual strings.
    When you use this IR on the same piano sample that was recorded for the IR you will find that each sample (each string) will induce the IR to generate new convoluted response. Each frequency that was not recorded in the IR will remain silent. The IR has a fingerprint with the original instrument main character printed all over it. If you use the IR with a sound that was unrelated to the original instrument there will not much musical correlation between the input and the output.
    This is more or less what happens when you play a Wurly sample over the grand piano IR. Only some specific frequencies match and most don't. So the convoluted signal will be totally incompatible with the Wurly for the simple reason that no Wurly resonance was used!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum