• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ties and Slurppies in Overture?

Share/Bookmark

Question Ties and Slurppies in Overture?

In plain squeemish. How do you get slurs and ties to work in Overture?
    Styxx

Re: Ties and Slurppies in Overture?

You select which one you want to use from the toolbar under the Groups button and then you need to click the left button on the mouse and draw a box around the notes you want to slur. Usually when using a tie, it knows to tie the two notes that are of the same pitch, but there have been occasions when I've had to draw a box around those notes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    In plain squeemish. How do you get slurs and ties to work in Overture?
    Ties depend on how you are entering the music. Easiest tie method is to use the step entry window and the ; key. Cross-barline ties are automatic.

For slurs, notes>group>slur

STYXX AND OTHERS: GO TO GENIESOFT.COM NOW AND GRAB, THEN INSTALL, THE LATEST UPDATE.

Never mind the version number or the build number, everybody. Just do as I say. Immediately. Without asking me why.

King Augustus Rhetoric III
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    For slurs, notes>group>slur

STYXX AND OTHERS: GO TO GENIESOFT.COM NOW AND GRAB, THEN INSTALL, THE LATEST UPDATE.

Never mind the version number or the build number, everybody. Just do as I say. Immediately. Without asking me why.

King Augustus Rhetoric III
    "In God, we trust" (A professor of capitalism should know where this is written). So, I downloaded the latest update. But what is new exactly? I did not notice any differences. Any information would help. I use GPO Studio with Overture SE exclusively and have the feeling that I have just approached the surface of this incredible program.

Louis

Wink Re: Ties and Slurppies in Overture?

Professor Williams,
    Please calm yourself before the “brass” come and take you away. I downloaded as well and saw no difference. Then again, I have only scratched the surface.
    Nobles please.
    Styxx

Question Re: Ties and Slurppies in Overture?

If you're referring to the fact that phrasing doesn't work with overture, I am experiencing the same thing and it sucks. What I do is I just take care of the phrasing when I import the MIDI into my sequencer. However, if anyone knows of a remedy to get Overture to phrase (slur) properly... I could really use the assistance. We all could really use the assistance. As of now, everything is played "detache."
    Thanks

You need to select the notes using the arrow cursor and then CNTRL + Y, or go to the Modify Notes menu. From there select Legato and enter in an overlap percentage. Make sure when selecting notes, do not select the last note in the legato passage since that note will be extended, and you want a breat after the last note. Check out my lesson on Legato. You probably don't need the entire Voices tutorial, but I have a lesson that discusses how to use Legato.

Tutorials

Lightbulb Re: Ties and Slurppies in Overture?

This is an interesting problem, as I have found the slurring to work very well. I am using Overture SE v 3.6. Are you using the same version? I wonder if we do some comparisons if we can find out why it is not working well for you...

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I think his problem comes from not extending the notes since all the slur does is activate the sustain pedal. The notes still have to be overlapped to get a smooth legato.

Go Back to forum