• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Extended orchestral colors

Share/Bookmark

Extended orchestral colors

With all the talk of "add-ons" for GPO, I thought I'd mention what I thought to be most important, from the perspective of completing orchestral tones. Big Band, Celtic, Marching Band, etc, would all be useful and great to have in a sound library, but I don't feel like the traditional orchestra has been completely represented yet. Here's what I'd most like to see in a GPO extension:

Stopped horns
    Trills for all woodwinds
    Trills for all brass (especially whole-tone llip trills for horns and trumpets)
    Trills for solo strings
    Fluttertongue for all w.w. and brass
    Hard and soft mallets for timpani
    Rolls for timpani
    Open strings (solo and sectional)
    String harmonics, sul tasto, sul ponticello (solo and sectional)
    ... or just release GOS2 for Kontakt!
    Saxophones ("orchestral" playing style)
    Picolo snare and side drum
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Extended orchestral colors

Just because I'm a smarty pants, fluttertounge with the Brass and Woods can be pretty nicely simulated. I can send you a link to an example if you're interested. Also, what is this great aversion to making your own timpani rolls using the alternating hits? I would like to see more string harmonics. Also things like bartok pizz wouldn't go amiss. As I said before, I'll buy it.

Side Drum snare drum piccolo standard tuning fundamental A tuning fork snare drum field drum side drum orchestral drum side drum snare drum take away the snares and you have drum field drum tom symphonic snare catgut snare drum piccolo standard side drum soprano snare tenor snare bass snare snare drum a rose is a rose by any other name just a rose.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Trills for solo strings
    I'd add Tremolo and Mutes.
    sfiks

I agree with you, Skysaw, especially on the woodwind requests. I have more than enough to keep me busy right now (and am learning quickly how poorly I make use of what is already available *sigh*) but I do see the need for some woodwind trills.

Of course, there is one huge gaping hole that needs to be fixed. I cannot truly arrange anything to its fullest potential until I have a muted tuba sample.

Fading to black in 5...4...3...2...1
    -Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

LFO, I've needed muted tuba too, but I found that the tuba overlay played very softly suffices, especially if it's played with other muted brass. But yes, add it to the request list!

Joseph, yes I would like to hear your fluttertongue examples. I haven't been able to get a good approximation for this. I don't have an aversion to making my own timpani rolls, but honestly, it doesn't sound the same as an actual roll. It does give you more control than a roll sample, but is less realistic. I'd like to be able to choose the approach, based on the piece at hand.

sfiks, agreed. Non-vibarto solo strings would also help me in a few cases, but I'm not sure most people would use them.

Styxx, thanks. I'm not sure what it meant, but it was nice and rhythmical.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Blue. I want to see more blue.
    Styxx

Hey, there is a library with most of that stuff. It's called VSL but it cost about $6,000!

And to think I was kidding about the muted tuba! Goes to show how advanced a user I am.

Fade to black in 5...4...3...2...1

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thumbs up Re: Extended orchestral colors

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Hey, there is a library with most of that stuff. It's called VSL but it cost about $6,000!
    Sounds like a deal...I'll take three.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum