• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kerry's record in detail

Share/Bookmark

Kerry's record in detail

sponsored links

***Advertisments***

Re: Kerry's record in detail

One of the things that gets me about Kerry is his statement that he believes that life begins at conception, and then he says he's against restrictions on abortion supposedly because he knows other people may disagree with him. Yeah right.

It would appear that Kerry is trying to have his political piece of cake and eat it too. If you believe life begins at conception, then killing that life must be murder. If murder, then it would be against the law. If it shouldn't be against the law, then it must not be murder, which means you must not really *believe* that life begins at conception.

Or it could mean that you don't like abortion personally but feel it's every woman's right to choose - not the State's (wink nudge).

Or perhaps that despite your personal feelings, you don't want to force women into having back-alley coat hanger abortions, which is what would happen if the religious nuts had their way.

More importantly, though, abortion is not and I feel should not be a central issue in this election. Our world is in crisis, and we have an administration that's raised it to just below the boiling point. To me, that (foreign policy) has to be the central issue, because it could easily mean the end of the world.

Or perhaps he's both for and against it..like everything else, he doesn't have a clear position on it.

I'll put it this way:
    If I truly thought someone was alive inside a building about to be demolished, I'd do everything I knew I could to stop them from demolishing the building before rescuing the person trapped inside. I wouldn't say, "hey, there's a person trapped in there, but if you disagree, then go ahead and blow the thing down."

If Kerry truly believed what he says, then he'd have a different position with respect to the law.

But I agree, this isn't a make-or-break issue for me, especially since nothing is likely to get done on the issue anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    I'll put it this way:
    If I truly thought someone was alive inside a building about to be demolished, I'd do everything I knew I could to stop them from demolishing the building before rescuing the person trapped inside. I wouldn't say, "hey, there's a person trapped in there, but if you disagree, then go ahead and blow the thing down."
    Terrible analogy, please try again ...

I think the analogy fits. Some people say there's a live person "in there" while others say there's not. Those who believe there really is then necessarily believe that people shouldn't be allowed to put them to death. If Kerry really believes there's a persin "in there", then how can he also say the law should allow the people "in there" to be killed legally? That is, how can he say that without calling his sense of morality into question?

Smokescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Smokescreen.
    Over what? I disagree with a very large portion of the items on that list. Why would I need a smokescreen? I think the guy's a radical lefty already.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    If you believe life begins at conception, then killing that life must be murder.
    This doesn't necessarily follow. Under the law, murder is a specific charge for specific reasons. By generalizing like you have, you weaken your own argument.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast