• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3-Rewire. Running with VSTI?

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 3-Rewire. Running with VSTI?

Hi

Based on user's comments and experience the current Gigastudio 160 version 2.5 with GSIF and ASIO drivers do not get along running simultaneously. Therefore it is frustrating to run VSTI Instruments along with current Giga V2.5.

Gigastudio 3 however shows it has Rewire Support. This sounds exiting.

Can someone explain the benefit of running Rewire in Giga 3, its infrastructure or what makes it unique, the routing and what the possibilities are with Rewire incorporated in Gigastudio 3? This is an area that I am not familiar with and also wonder if VSTI instruments will now work together with Gigastudio on the same computer. I wish to understand this concept.

Please shed some light, its dark in here.

Caveman

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Gigastudio 3-Rewire. Running with VSTI?

GigaStudio will route into a sequencer as a ReWire device, so yes, you can run Giga and other VSTi instruments simultaneously.

I suspect you'll even eventually see VSTi instruments hosted within GigaStudio.

Hi Bruce,

Any problems "ReWiring" GS3 in SONAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Heil
    Hi Bruce,

Any problems "ReWiring" GS3 in SONAR?
    I've been trying to get that answered, is rewire working well with Sonar? Cubase? etc? I didn't get an answer. Is it working well Bruce?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

ReWire works in SONAR. As far as what you'd mean by working "well," it works and the latency is good. I use multiple machines, so I don't spend a lot of time on ReWire. My stuff is all lightpiped and networked...I personally don't care for ReWire OR VSTi in the sequencing environment, because I do 99% of my work to picture, and the various CPU hits begin to add up. I do DAW, Giga, and synthesis over three separate machines, and that gives me fairly unlimited headroom for each.

But ReWire was one of the first things they took on, it was the first way I used the app, and it was solid from the very earliest beta versions. Can't comment about Cubase, I don't use it. Hans Zimmer does, and he was on the beta for the entire run. In fact, he switched his operations over to GS-3 over a month before I did. I know that when he's traveling, he uses a single rackmount Giga system as his portable "sketchpad," and I'm assuming he has the sequencer on board. But that's an assumption. He might well use a laptop. I just don't know.

Let me know if I can help you guys with any other information. I'll do what I can, but remember I'm only one end user, and there is really no official information release to date. The only reason I'm able to share pre-release info with you guys is because I asked permission to do it, and was told that I could share things within certain limits. I am slightly uncomfortable with speculating on specific combinations that I don't use...I'm sure you guys can understand that.

Bruce,

I understand the problem with sharing the info but I can try right?
    Would you happen to know if I can run the Gigs with PTLE 002? using rewire?
    I can't seem to get an answer from anybody...

Till now Giga could not be intergrated with PT and I had to run a seperate computer. I am thinking about Kontakt as it comes as a RTAS plugin but I prefer to use Giga.

Giga 3 could be the time to move if rewire will work.

Well.........

I just got of the phone with support at Tascam and they claim PT will intergrate via rewire. Now to actually see it work would be nice.......

Quote Originally Posted by caveman
    Hi

Based on user's comments and experience the current Gigastudio 160 version 2.5 with GSIF and ASIO drivers do not get along running simultaneously. Therefore it is frustrating to run VSTI Instruments along with current Giga V2.5.
    This really is dependant on your setup. I can tell you that it really hasn't been a problem for me with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. As far as ReWire in Sonar (and this is generally speaking, not specific to GS3) the last time I checked there were limitiations on the number of channels you could run that were much lower than those in Cubase. This is back in January mind you. At that time I was hearing, on the Cakewalk forums, that you would not be able to get more than 16 ReWire channels with GS3 using Sonar 3 Producer Edition. Maybe things have changed since then. I hope so, I prefer Sonar to Cubase at this point.

Thanks Bruce.

Go Back to forum