• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Topic: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    For those interested in listening, I attempted this mockup of Wagner's "Siegried's Funeral March". I wanted to get to know how to use the brass side of QLSO Gold.

    There's tweaks I could still do with articulation, phrasing, tempo and balance, but didn't want to spend more time. And apologies if it doesn't quite always conform to the markings in the score, but I hope it gives an idea how the library copes with the big romantic classical scores.

    http://users.senet.com.au/~duoartc/W...neralMarch.mp3
    Last edited by Craig_L; 08-22-2004 at 07:41 PM. Reason: URL correction

  2. #2

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Incredible. Powerful, moving. First class.

    The few minor problems, which you are probably aware, are easily dwarfed by the towering performance and sound quality.

    How did you manage the string runs? Very passable for something that should be difficult for a sample library to do.

    For me, this rates up there with the Debussy's La Mer performance. (The word mock-up no longer applies. These are performances in their own right ...)

    Thank you for sharing,
    YBaCuO

  3. #3

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Incredible. Powerful, moving. First class.

    The few minor problems, which you are probably aware, are easily dwarfed by the towering performance and sound quality.

    How did you manage the string runs? Very passable for something that should be difficult for a sample library to do.

    For me, this rates up there with the Debussy's La Mer performance. (The word mock-up no longer applies. These are performances in their own right ...)

    Thank you for sharing,
    YBaCuO
    Thanks for the kind comments YBaCuO.

    The string runs for the most use the GOLD version's out of the box "butter legato" articulations.

    Craig

  4. #4

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    This is really wonderful. Did you change the natural panning of the brass? I am curious because it sounds much wider than it does normally. I like it.

    It would be great if you would be willing to share the midi or project file for QLSO users in the EW/QL forum.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    92

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Ok, Craig, I was wondering what you were up to lately in your classical sequencing laboratory. One can’t go wrong with this Wagner of course, a compilation of all those powerful leitmotifs structured in such an ingenuous way. Talk about the narrative of music….no wonder Boorman chose this to open Excalibur.

    As the apparent champion of QLSO for classical applications, you continue to make the point that this library has what it takes to do exactly that. These next few weeks will be interesting in terms of what options will become available in our quest for increased realism, but hearing that hall is making me increasing skeptical about simulated ambience. Indeed, one realizes that a sample must be, in effect, a recording of a duet: the instrument(s) and hall’s natural reaction to it.

    One could, for the sake of making an argument, challenge the popular opinion that QLSO is for Hollywood soundtracks and VSL is more for classical. With the close mikes and emphasis on detail, could one argue that VSL is more suited for soundstage type applications and QLSO for a natural classic concert hall sound?

    Your workup of the Wagner strikes me as a performance, a rendition of this incredible piece. One could point out that you are not using many of those esoteric Wagner instruments (tuba, etc.), or some alternative samples would help in some of the repetition passages, but this is not the point. The point is QLSO sounds extremely convincing here and breathes the necessary emotion into this work.

    Well done, it’s great to hear somebody using this library so effectively with large scale pieces we can actually compare sonically.

    Cheers, Don

  6. #6

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Quote Originally Posted by panzerD
    This is really wonderful. Did you change the natural panning of the brass? I am curious because it sounds much wider than it does normally. I like it.

    It would be great if you would be willing to share the midi or project file for QLSO users in the EW/QL forum.
    No, I didn't change any of the panning of the brass. But there is some solo brass in there as well.

    While it's mixed in Sonar, the sequencer is Overture and because I use multiple voices per instrument line quite often, it won't be useable in another program.

    Thanks for the comments.

  7. #7

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Quote Originally Posted by gungnir
    These next few weeks will be interesting in terms of what options will become available in our quest for increased realism, but hearing that hall is making me increasing skeptical about simulated ambience. Indeed, one realizes that a sample must be, in effect, a recording of a duet: the instrument(s) and hall’s natural reaction to it.
    Yes, I have laid my VSL aside until GS3 comes out to see how Gigapulse handles the ambience and reverb.

    At the moment, the QLSO natural hall ambience is great for giving these mockups a convincing realism. It's also reassuring to compare the sound to some of Prof Johnson's Classical recordings and hear you have that same technical hi-fidelity in sound and ambience.

    Of course I could use the versatility of PLATINUM - some of the "surround" mike positions would give me more options and greater realism, but I'm on a budget now.

    Quote Originally Posted by gungnir
    One could, for the sake of making an argument, challenge the popular opinion that QLSO is for Hollywood soundtracks and VSL is more for classical. With the close mikes and emphasis on detail, could one argue that VSL is more suited for soundstage type applications and QLSO for a natural classic concert hall sound?
    The "close" mike positions in Platinum should give you a similar up front detailed sound like VSL but of course with some of that same natural reverb from the real hall. It was interesting hearing this in Didou's recent post "QLSO Platinum vs Opus I" which just used the close mike positions.

    Well, as you say, the next few weeks will prove interesting. Maybe you can have a go and tackle this same piece in VSL with GS3.

    Craig

  8. #8

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Craig, thanks for sharing such an excellent example of what is possible today - with much effort, of course! I agree that this is in the same league as La Mer. Please do more!

    I really, really enjoyed listening to your rendition of a piece by someone I hadn't listen to in a long time. Thanks to you, I'll be buying some Wagner... starting tomorrow.

    Oh, and I'll be saving up for QLSO!

  9. #9

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa
    I agree that this is in the same league as La Mer.
    While Craig's mockup is nicely done, I'll beg to differ on this point. I've yet to hear anything which comes close to Andy's work on the La Mer mockup in terms of realism. The QLSO mockup does not make me think that these are real instruments all the time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Grenoble - France
    Posts
    353

    Re: EWQLSO - Wagner - more classical

    Personnally , i didn't like the sound of the brass, according to real performances
    the brass were playing forte in your mockup whereas it's more piano/mezzoforte in original performance.

    and i don't understand the debate between classical sound and hollywood sound, it's the same thing, when you hear gutav holst planets or wagner ride of the walkyries, it has the same sound that john williams star wars or any hollywood scores, so this mockup is good but far from perfect especially on the brass

    edit : in fact the thing i dislike is the forte sound of the horns(or trombones), it sounds very "metallic" !

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •