• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overture and problems all over the place.

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Overture and problems all over the place.

This is the first time I've tried to do anything major with Overture and Joseph you can say I should have waited for you tutorial. I thought a simple piano piece wouldn't give me much trouble but woe was I wrong.
    Fist, editing velocity doesn't save it defaults back to its original values. Then the drop outs every other page in the middle of a system. The worst is the time signature. How did it revert to 4/4 when I clearly programed in 3/4! Now that's freaky! Come on I know my time signatures man and when I went to change back to 3/4 the whole project hangs. Can't escape nor close out. Couldn't even shut down the PC without physically turning of the juice! Should have waited for your tutorial Joseph.
    Styxx

Re: Overture and problems all over the place.

There were some bugs fixed recently with an update. I don't know if you're experiencing some of those bugs or not, but here is a link to the file. It isn't super large so you should be able to download it from home. Just download and install.

3.6.0 Updated 8-10-04

Try this, also, I wouldn't mind it if you sent me the file to look at. I haven't experienced this before (the dynamics not saving and the tempo bug.)

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    This is the first time I've tried to do anything major with Overture and Joseph you can say I should have waited for you tutorial. I thought a simple piano piece wouldn't give me much trouble but woe was I wrong.
    Send it here, bro.
    And there's another update as of today.
    What you're getting is not related to any known bug.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I think I already installed the updates. I'm to flabbergasted to try anything else right now. I'll just sit tight till you finish your tutorial. There is so much I don't understand about notational software developers. Sometimes the easiest and simplest aspects about writing on staff is obscured by all this clicking and dragging crap. I just tried it again tonight and wound up deleting everything. I tell it to place a certain note value and it changes to something entirely different. That's what I call it is only as good as the person who developed it in the first place. From Cakewalk 7 to Overture Se and above. It's all the same to me, simple stupid!
    So, no sense in beating my head against the staff. I can wait.
    Styxx

The greatest thing about someone else starting a thread about something I'd like to whine about is that I get to reply to it and not sound like a complainer .

That said, let me complain.

I get the same type of problems, too. I've discovered that my favorite feature is undo, which I use FAR too often. When you have some repetitive velocity changes, it would be wonderful if there were a way to repeat it. The same goes for when you have to put in the proper enharmonic setting for the same accidental over and over again. I've been having a problem with one of my pieces going into swing time 20 measures in even though I told it nothing of the sort.

One problem you have that can be fixed is setting a default level for velocity. To do that, grab one of the expressions (by which I mean p or mf or ppp, etc.). Place it where you want it to start. Then double click on it. Click the button to have it playback. Then click on velocity to have it affect velocity, then enter a number to tell it what velocity should be. Then, whenever you place a note after that point, its velocity will be set to that value by default.

And, you know, very little has really changed about the way music software works aside from sample quality. The interface from Cakewalk 4 back on Windows 3.1 is essentially the same interface used in Sonar 3.

Go Back to forum