• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Latency when playing samples depends on audio interface?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Latency when playing samples depends on audio interface?

I have a big latency on playing softsynths/softsamples. I use Mia MIDI (and Events Gina on another PC). WDM drivers. Sonar 3. If I set the latency too low then the playback stops quite a lot on most projects (my projects usually have a number of tracks, 30+).

Currently I use the controller keyboard sounds to play in the parts then pay them back using the proper soft sample/synth so the latency doesnt affect my playing.

Would I be able to get rid of this latency issue if I change my soundcard/audio interface? Or will big projects always give me this problem?

Re: OT: Latency when playing samples depends on audio interface?

Possibly it might help. How old is your computer? A faster CPU will help you set a lower latency.

I dont notice any overt latency with my softsynths/samplers. Im running a Delta 44 in my main machine; Athlon 2600+ processor.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I have an Athlon 2600+ 1 gig RAM. Cant set a ow enough latency without getting playback dropouts in Sonar 3. I have to usually set my latency to 44 or so so i can get smooth playback. Mia Midi card. Im wondering if I need to change my card.

Latency when playing samples depends on audio interface?

Hi Neole,

I don't think changing cards will make much difference. I have a similar set-up as you without the latency issues you are talking about. The Echo cards also have a solid performance if you look at other people's feedback. I would look more into your audio setting in Sonar itself. Try different settings in your "Buffers in playback Queue" in the Mixing Latency of your Audio Options - General Tab. Also in the Audio Options - Advanced tab try increasing your I/O buffer size to 256 or 512 kb. And in your driver profile make sure the stream setting are 32 bit PCM, left-justified. I found the Cakewalk forum at: http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/ a big help with these issues. Check it out.

Larry

For the MIA (and MIA MIDI) don't use WDM for Sonar. Use PureWave.

Go into the MIA control panel, click Configure, then Advanced. Select PureWave for the ports where you want Sonar to play. Set the PureWave buffer size as low as you dare. If you get clicks and pops down the road, come back here and increase the value.

Restart the PC.

Start Sonar. It should re-calibrate the audio interface. Try things out. Change the buffer sizes until you get the smallest values without clicks and pops.

Best of luck dealing with the latency issues.

-Jon

if you want the lowest possible latency for running samplers or VST's then get the Steinberg VSL2020. I leave my buffer size at 32 samples for a latency of .73 ms. No card, even RME can compete with it, when it comes to latency and effiency. It comes in handy for me in my live setup with Kontakt at church.

I think I have heard that the Steinberg VSL2020 is in fact a
    card from RME just relabeled...

Tobias

Smile Re: OT: Latency when playing samples depends on audio interface?

Hello Neole. Don't know if this will help or not.... I also am using Echo Audio's MIA Sound Card (with Win XP Pro) and I recently tried "updating" the driver to version 6.08. When I did... I had latency so badly, that I wasn't even able to use my sampler. It was horrible... and nothing would correct the problem. So, I "rolled-back" to a previous driver (6.04 I think) and, like magic, the problem was gone. I think that the 6.08 driver for the MIA has a bug in it. So, you may wanna check and see which driver your MIA Midi is using.... if it's 6.08.... then, you might try downloading a previous version from the Echo Audio website and see if it will clear up the latency issue. Hope that this helps! Gary

I'm running 6.08 with no problem. Did you try the PureWave driver in the Advanced window and try lowering the buffer size? That did the trick for me.

-JF

Larry - I tried that, no improvement. Playback just stops in a second soon as I set the latency to below 24 msec.

Jon - Tried that after your advise. Again, no improvement. Dropouts below 24 msec.

matthew - thanks for the info. Have you tried using it in a multiple track project, like 20+ tracks with effects etc? Can it still playback softsynths at low latency without dropping out?

Gary - I think I will try that. Thats the only thing I havent! I will post my results here.

Go Back to forum