• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New Guitar Library

Share/Bookmark

New Guitar Library

I was thinking about resampling my guitar yet again for my own projects and figured while I was at it I would check to see if there is any demand for a new Gigastudio (and possibly other versions like HALion and Kontakt) library. Basically, I have noticed the ones that are available… well… are not really what I am looking for. If I was just doing it for myself then I wouldn’t put too much into it (just what I need) but if others are interested I would like to know what you would like to have on there. So if anyone is interested I can go into a detailed plan for feedback about it. Thanks,

James W.G. Smith

By the way, the guitar is a Fender Strat through a Boss SE-70 (kinda rare half-rack) in case anyone wants to know.

Re: New Guitar Library

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    I was thinking about resampling my guitar yet again for my own projects and figured while I was at it I would check to see if there is any demand for a new Gigastudio (and possibly other versions like HALion and Kontakt) library. Basically, I have noticed the ones that are available… well… suck. If I was just doing it for myself then I wouldn’t put too much into it (just what I need) but if others are interested I would like to know what you would like to have on there. So if anyone is interested I can go into a detailed plan for feedback about it. Thanks,

James W.G. Smith

By the way, the guitar is a Fender Strat through a Boss SE-70 (kinda rare half-rack) in case anyone wants to know.
    If you judge that QL Strat, Vintaudio Guitars, VSL Overdrive (not to mention VSL Orchestral Guitar, or RealGuitar in the acoustic land) or even some Sonic Implants electric guitars "suck"....
    well, it's likely that you're probably the new decade sampling genius around the corner.
    Good luck.
    No offense, but guitar is well known to be a challenge to use on a keyboard, not matter how talented a developer may be..... but this being said, all those libraries are very well done and well thought.
    By the way, I'd personnally think that starting with a processed sound is not the best way to make the ultimate guitar library : we have enough processing gear out there, be it sofware or hardware, to prefer a clean -and more versatile- sound.
    But do your best, we will see. I'll be the first to buy your library if you turn out to be as skilled as ambitious.

To my taste the VSL concert guitar sounds very strange. Soundwise I much rather prefer the sound of the Nylon Spanish from Yellow Tools' Pure Guitars (or my own home-made brew, of course). However, their Nylon Concert on the same disc is also unusable to me. It's a technique with the nail that sounds artificial when sampled, even by VSL.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Lightbulb Re: New Guitar Library

Nice Intro....
    I do not like you characterizing and saying all guitar libraries "suck" but hey, you'll find you won't get much sympathy or support by using such strong words in this online community...

I hope you're speaking from experience and own all these libraries you say "suck", where did you buy ours btw ? and please expand on why you think it "sucks".

Guitar libraries are very hard to sample and get something that's playable on a keyboard, you'll find out soon enough, and remember what goes around comes around, you'll understand when you're hard work is described as something that "sucks" if you ever get that far, because this takes 1000's of hours to do right, it's not just plugging a guitar, sampling a few notes and then editing them, it's much more than that. I must of resampled the 4 guitars in our collection 10 times over before getting it right, tuning is another issue from recording to recording, editing guitars to make them feel real played on a guitar is also a tough challenge, so before you characterize every guitar library out there as being awful, I suggest you do yours and then come back here and I'll bet you anything you're pleasant outlook towards other guitar libraries will have changed dramatically and you will come to respect the developers and the enormous time they've put in their creations.

QL Guits, Vintaudio Giga Clean Electric Guitars, the VSL overdrive and acoustic guitars, Bardstown audio Jazz Guits and especially the Yellow Tools Guitars do not "suck", they are great libraries that developers took thousands of hours to create, again please expand on why all these libraries "suck", really I'd like to hear your analisys on the subject

Franky
    VIntaudio
    www.vintaudio.com

I know exactly what you mean, Alex. I think the Vrsound nylon guitar is the best around. Have you heard the demo?

Carl

That's what we did with our library. all the tones were recorded directly in a Focusrite preamp to recording.

Guys, if you haven't already check out N.I.'s "Guitar Rig", it's very very good, I even use it live with a real guitar, the results are amazing.

Kindly
    Franky
    VIntaudio
    www.vintaudio.com

Surely MusicLab's Real Giutar is 'best' isn't it? That was going to be my next purchase.....Trouble is they always bring out a decent product (Like BIB!) and then sting you like hell for the add ons! (IMveryHO)

Frank

Another one Not yet enough written about it on this board yet I think (That was a hint to search for what you are looking for, it was somewhere here discussed a few times).

PolarBear

Can I say something? Thanks...

Franky, I think you took his comment a little too hard. I don't think it's that unreasonable for a "guitarist" to think what they hear could be done better,,, and therefor "sucks". But I think it's usually the tone they don't like... that's a very personal preference that is one aspect where it's hard to please "guitarists" with samples...

I really do appreciate what you guys do. BUT! A saying I am used to is "I don't care how long it took, is it good or not". Meaning, 'time spent' doesn't necessarily equal quality... and really has no bearing on the buyer. So as a buyer of this stuff (I've made some small stuff for myself) I don't even consider how hard the library was to make. Do I like it, do I not like it? That's all....

I'm sure we've all thought something sucked that someone else worked hard on...

KID-

Well, I have listened to most demos I guess, but all I have heard was great acoustic guitar, I'm yet to hear a good electric one, especially a distorted one. Not that they suck, but don't sound right to me. (On demos at least )

Go Back to forum