• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where to start...?

Share/Bookmark

Where to start...?

Hi everybody!

As I´m new to this forum and to this topics, this is my first post.

My problem:
    I do/did some composition/arranging with Finale the last years and now, as I realized the possibilites, I would like to add realistic sound to my files.

I read some threads here in the forum, but afterwards, I have more questions than answers...

So, please, could anyone tell me, what do I need (first of all, as I have to have an eye on the budget):

- I have Finale, and all my files are in that format
    - I have a Yamaha Clavinova, but it´s not connected to the PC
    - I do all the composing via mouse and keyboard, mostly first of all on a regular sheet of paper and a pencil...

I guess, I have to buy GPO (or EWQL?) to get started. (Any recommondations?) (Do they work with FINALE 2004?)

But do I need anything else (at the moment)?

- Do I need a mod wheel?
    - Do I need a sequencer (right?) like G3?

Questions, questions, questions...

Maybe someone could give me some ideas or a link with information for (absolute) beginners...

Thanks
    -Alawill

Re: Where to start...?

GPO and Silver are great ways to get into sampled orchestral sounds. You don't need GigaStudio to play them, as they come with a built-in player.

For GPO (which I own), I'd recommend a midi keyboard with a mod-wheel. The other option is to draw the mod wheel control into your sequencer. Note that Cubasis VST 4 ships with GPO, so you can sequence with that.

For playing your compositions there are two options: play the parts into the seuqencer by playing them, or export the MIDI from Finale into the sequencer and draw in the mod-wheel parts. The first requires skill, but gives more human results. The second may be easier, but won't sound as fluid.

The other path is to get GS3 Orchestral. It comes with Vienna Giga Symphony and a bunch of other sample libraries. You would need a GSIF compatible soundcard and a sequencer. It's the higher-end approach, but it gives you a stronger platform for expanding your palette.

The other upwardly mobile approach is to get GPO or Silver and get Kontakt later. You can then add more libraries within Kontakt, just as you can add libs to GigaStudio.

For the lowest cost, short-term solution, GPO is the way to go, as it comes with a sequencer. For the strongest base GS3 Orchestral has many killer features (like GigaPulse), but it's a bigger investment.

-Jon Fairhurst

Alawill,

The Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) website has a dedicated page for its use with Finale:

http://www.garritan.com/GPO-FinalePage.html

Either GPO or EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition are great places to start, especially since your main requirement is to continue to use Finale but have "better sounds".

Dear Jon & Martin,

thanks for the information. I´m getting a little more wise now...

I think I will start with GPO and try to combine it with Finale. I will have enough work then in the next weeks getting used to everything and trying sounds, etc.

Thanks Martin for the link to the GPO/Finale website. I haven´t seen that during my visitis on their website.

Thanks again & hopefully I can submit a composition in the (near? ) future.
    -Harald (aka Alawill)

Cool Re: Where to start...?

Hello Alawill, and welcome to the NorthernSounds Forum. As Jon mentioned in his earlier post.... you have got to get a midi keyboard (controller keyboard) preferably with a modulation wheel and pitch wheel. A person can own all the best sample libraries in the world... but without a good midi controller.... you'll never be able to access all the abilities of your samples. You probably won't be able to do much on a Yamaha Clavinova (unless all you're composing is just piano music)... Believe me, I use to own a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-123 myself. You need to have the full expressive control that a good midi controller keyboard has to offer. I use a StudioLogic SL-1100 and it works great for me. Here's a link you might want to check-out:

http://www.studiologic.net/

Best of luck to you... and let us hear some of your work, okay. ....... Gary

Hi Gary,

thanks for the info, but some new questions occur:

- What exactly are one doing with the mod/pitch wheel. (I think I can guess it, but maybe someone could explain in detail.)
    - Why am I not able to use the Clavinova? It has MIDI connection on the backside? Is it only because they don´t have this wheels or for some other reasons too?

Thanks,
    Harald

Smile Re: Where to start...?

Hi Harald. Yes...you certainly can use the Yamaha Clavinova as a controller keyboard (I used mine for awhile to control my sampler before I purchased my SL-1100.) The only thing is, if you want total control (pitch bending, modulation wheel for adding vibrato or cross-fading between samples, etc) you should "eventually" think about getting some kinda controller keyboard other than the Clavinova. For right now, maybe you can concentrate on building up your sample library. Don't know if you have a sampler program on your PC... but, you're definately gonna need one for sure. I really love GigaStudio as my computer-based sampler... but there are a few other good ones available. So, to answer your question.... Yes, absolutely... you can hook-up midi cables to your Yamaha Clav. and use it as a midi controller. Just wanted to say, when you get into using all the wonderful sample libraries available these days... eventually, you'll probably wanna buy another controller keyboard. ................ Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Alawill
    Hi Gary,

thanks for the info, but some new questions occur:

- What exactly are one doing with the mod/pitch wheel. (I think I can guess it, but maybe someone could explain in detail.)
    - Why am I not able to use the Clavinova? It has MIDI connection on the backside? Is it only because they don´t have this wheels or for some other reasons too?

Thanks,
    Harald
    Harald, there are programs that convert the breath controller data into modulation or expression data (depending on which software library you invest in, you may do one or the other.) In GPO modulation controls the volume/timbre of all non-percussion/keyed instruments while the pitch bend can be used to control portamento (although another controller exists for this function as well.)

Go Back to forum