• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New User Needs Help Please

Share/Bookmark

New User Needs Help Please

Hello,

I am brand new to GPO and have some basic questions. (I've read the manual already.)

1. I have a Korg Triton as my controller. It's "mod wheel" is actually a joystick that spring-returns to the center position. What do other Triton owners do about this?

2. I use Cubase as my sequencer. Is it possible to take a pre-existing midi track, assign it to a GPO instrument and "play in" the articulations without otherwise changing the track? I tried but my use of the Mod Wheel and Pedal didn't seem to get recorded.

3. I tried loading in a pre-existing Cubase midi, assigning different instances of the GPO Vsti to different tracks. But when I tried to play back the midi, I couldn't hear the GPO instruments until I switched them all to Midi Channel #1. What am I doing wrong?

Thank You!

Re: New User Needs Help Please

hmmm...
    I'm new to GPO and in the same boat, getting my old pieces into GPO.
    In the Cubase SX family, you certainly can 'play in' mod wheel data. Just select the track and record. I've done it and it works fine. Also you can draw mod data in the controller lane (and sustain data etc)

I'm not sure about the midi channel thing. My head hurts when I think about VST channels versus midi channels. I'm not even sure what a midi channel is! But I think the first instrument on a multi is on channel 1, the second on 2 etc. So you can set up your midi tracks in cubase to play whichever instrument you want. You can send each instrumet to a separate VST channel too.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Talking Re: New User Needs Help Please

Hi, jazmaan!

I use a Korg Triton Studio as my only MIDI controller and wasn't aware that other "mod wheels" are not spring loaded. We've had a few discussions here about adding other (out-board) hardware as alternate mod wheel devices, as well as at least one candidate foot controller than might be suitable for "key switching" but no one has yet taken the plunge and done it (that I know of, at least).

I've resigned myself to using the spring-loaded mod wheel with the left hand and playing the single solo line with the right. If it's a French Horn section, for example, I can usually get two or three notes with the right hand. I have also occasionally resorted to "cheating" and pasting in notes from other lines after the fact.

I also use Cubase SX (2) but have not yet found a way to "merge in" articulations as you describe in your second point. I just found an intriguing hint -- page 68 -- that says "If Rec Mode is set to 'Merge', the overdubbed events are added to the existing part." That would seem to lead you in the direction you were guessing about. This would SEEM to be what you (and I) might be looking for; however, my early experimentation is less than completely satisfactory: firstly, when i record a line without ANY mod wheel usage, I'm getting the "default" setting (which in most cases is pretty quiet); second, applying the mod wheel information looks to be a "once only" trip -- it is not clear how you would do a second "take" and use those mod wheel articulations in place of what you just "merged in". I think I'm going to bother Steinberg's support center with a call on this tomorrow and see if one of those folks has a suggestion. Stay tuned.

I don't know what might be the culprit regard your third point. MIDI channels and VSTi's are fairly straightforward and I have no problem with using any of the eight MIDI channels on each instance of GPO and never have to resort to what you are describing. It *may* be that you have a semi-hidden control message in the MIDI that you are bringing in that is telling it to switch to a channel and/or device that is other than what you think it is. I would inspect the detailed MIDI stuff in the Cubase SX MIDI editor and see what is there.

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

Hi Jazzman, I'm new also and had a simular question about my Roland a-30. It too has a joystick type mod wheel. For me my answer came from Robinsegg who suggested that I take and reassign my volume slider to be a modulation slider. That is working great for me. Only problem is that I don't know how you would do it on your particular keyboard. If you can I think you will find that it works great. Anybody out there know how to reassign sliders with a Triton keyboard? Good luck

I'm using Korg Trinity's "Value" slider for mod data. You can remap the slider's CC message (I think it's 18) to Mod (1) with Midi / Setup dialog in Cubase VST 5.1 (prolly something similar in Cubase SX)

(who invented the silly spring loaded joystick anyway??? &%%$!!!)

Another trick would be using an expression pedal (a technique popular with many MIDI orchestration masters). That could be assigned to send MOD data in Triton itself - check the manual

2) If you can record notes, you can record other controller data, unless it's filtered out (MIDI / Filtering / Control Change checkbox in Cubase VST5.1)

3) hard to say where the glitch is without being there are tracks' outputs set to correct MIDI channels, and have "GPO" set as MIDI output? Are the receive channels in GPO set to different values (1, 2, ... 8)? play around a bit until it works
    Cheers Matt

Red face Re: New User Needs Help Please

Hi everybody, thanks for all the friendly hellos! I'm pleased to report that I was able to solve all my problems before even checking back here to read these answers.

1. Regarding the Korg Triton, I read the Triton manual and easily assigned the Mod Wheel control to Assignable Knob #1. Now I can just twist the knob and it stays where I put it. Alternatively, you can use SW 2 (switch #2) right above the joystick, which is already preset on most patches to lock the stick mod wherever you leave it.

2. I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but yes I am now able to overdub mod and pedal changes.

3. I'm still having a little bit of trouble with midi channels, but I was able to get 8 different instruments into 8 different midi channels by loading all 8 instruments into 1 VSTi instance of GPO. Still having trouble though trying to get a 2nd instance of GPO to work with midi channels 9-16.

Considering I've only had the program for 24 hours, I guess I'm not doing too bad!

Lightbulb Re: New User Needs Help Please

Jazmaan, I must not have been fully awake before.

The other alternative to using two hands to play is two-fold:

[1] First, use the convenient "mod wheel" on the particular instrument in the GPO Kontakt player to set a reasonable "default" volume while you are playing the original line (so that you can hear the part decently, albeit without the full expression that you later want for it).

[2] Second, open the part in the "key editor" and make sure that you have a "Modulation" control track (which I usually use in combination with the "Velocity" track). Now you can "paint" your expression using the paintbrush tool as you hear the playback. (You can also go back and tweak velocities as well.)

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

JM,
    It's good you've got the mod wheel worked out.
    About midi channels, I just use channels again 1-8 for the second and subsequent instances. There only are 16 midi channels, so you'd have to double up anyway if you want to run more than 2 instances. I can't think of any paticular benefit in assigning a second instance to channels 9-16 though, even if I knew how to do it.
    Of course each instrument has it's own VST channel, so you can adjust pan, level and effects separately.
    Is that what you mean?
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    JM,
    It's good you've got the mod wheel worked out.
    About midi channels, I just use channels again 1-8 for the second and subsequent instances. There only are 16 midi channels, so you'd have to double up anyway if you want to run more than 2 instances. I can't think of any paticular benefit in assigning a second instance to channels 9-16 though, even if I knew how to do it.
    Of course each instrument has it's own VST channel, so you can adjust pan, level and effects separately.
    Is that what you mean?
    But here's the problem, correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that pitch bend on one Cubase track will also affect every other Cubase track using that same midi channel. And I wouldn't be surprised if other mod changes do the same thing. So in order to avoid that kind of crossover, isn't it best to use as many different midi channels as possible?

That would be the case but each instance of the VST has 16 channels. Each VST instrument is considered seperately in Cubase. You may have GPO VST 1, GPO VST 2, etc. Each one has 16 channels.

Go Back to forum