• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartet in G Minor (Short Excerpt)

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet in G Minor (Short Excerpt)

This is a very short excerpt from my String Quartet in G Minor. I wrote it many years ago and recently resurrected it from the original staff paper that I found in a box.

http://www.alexandermusic.com/musicf...ngQuartet1.mp3

Regards,

Larry A.

Re: String Quartet in G Minor (Short Excerpt)

Very tuneful, I like it. Maybe a little more variation of the main theme would help as it is pretty repetitive through out the piece. Your key changes are very obvious, maybe some work in modulating. But it is your music so you should ONLY change it if you feel you should, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaibulu
    Very tuneful, I like it. Maybe a little more variation of the main theme would help as it is pretty repetitive through out the piece. Your key changes are very obvious, maybe some work in modulating. But it is your music so you should ONLY change it if you feel you should, I'm just stating my personal opinion.
    Thank you for your reply and comments.

This is just a fragment of the piece which is about fifteen minutes long. The repetitiveness, that you mention, is not as obvious when you listen, in context, to the entire composition.

The half-step modulation near the end was intentional for effect.

I wrote it when I was around twenty years old. That was fifty years ago!

Regards,

Larry A.

well, good job. Do you have the whole thing sequenced? I would like to hear the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaibulu
    well, good job. Do you have the whole thing sequenced? I would like to hear the rest.
    Thank you.

No, I haven't sequenced the entire composition. I will work on it. What you heard was the last couple of minutes of the first section.

Regards,

Larry A.

Very Russian Steppes Larry....nice!

Frank

PS I bet you couldn't have envisioned all this technology, in your wildest dreams, 50yrs ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Very Russian Steppes Larry....nice!

Frank

PS I bet you couldn't have envisioned all this technology, in your wildest dreams, 50yrs ago!
    Not in my wildest dreams, indeed!

I wonder how the face of music would have been changed if the great composers of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries had had today's technology to "play" with? (Not that they needed it) Mozart with synthesizers and sample libraries! It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Not in my wildest dreams, indeed!

I wonder how the face of music would have been changed if the great composers of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries had had today's technology to "play" with? (Not that they needed it) Mozart with synthesizers and sample libraries! It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Regards,

Larry A.
    Yes, that's a great thought to toy with! You are perfectly correct in saying that they didn't need it. However it would have been terrific to know how it would have influenced them....but we can only guess.

Me? I'll stick with Band in the Box!! (with the dissonance style add-on!!)

Frank

Hi!

Very nice!
    I like the composition.

I agree with Jaibulu... a litte more variation would help.
    But very well done!

Best,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCS
    Hi!

Very nice!
    I like the composition.

I agree with Jaibulu... a litte more variation would help.
    But very well done!

Best,
    Michael
    Thank you, Michael.

This is amazing technology, isn't it? You are in Austria and I am in the United States and we can almost instantaneously share music and messages!

Regards,

Larry A.

Go Back to forum