I have heard that useing firewire
    can bring a 10 frame delay.
    Is there a capture card that
    any of you would recomend that
    works well and outputs to a TV.

Thanks for the help!!
    Dave

Re: Video Capture card for G5 help!!

You want a capture card .. or a Firewire (DV) to Analog converter ??

Sounds like both ... what sequencer do you use ?

I have no problems importing digital video files to Logic or Nuendo, and outputing to a DV converter to multiple televisions. I see a 4 frame delay, but both programs let me compensate the delay.

I use this box:
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ad...pm_advc110.asp

Yes, on a G5.

thanks for the reply!!!
    I will be running Cubase SX
    I will chec out the site!
    thanks again

Hey can you let me know
    what you do to deal with the
    Delay????
    Thanks
    Dave

Well, generally when dealing with DV through firewire you're always dealing with some delay which your sequencer usually compensates for.

I have been very happy with my Canopus ADVC 100, they are affordable Firewire DV digitizing units, it is solid, fully blessed by Digidesign who is generally a hard company to please, and works wonders.

They way I work is that I"ll digitize a video through the Canopus, I'll convert it to an mp4 or Sorenson and then I'll import it into my sequencer (Logic).

Why convert it to Sorenson or mp4 you may ask? Well, I feel that raw DV video while looking really great and coming out of my TV instead of a small window on my screen is awesome, it also puts a lot of stress on my hard drive throughput and processor. Logic drowns more easily when I'm running DV video than Sorenson or mp4 so there you go, until I get a G5 I'm sticking with non DV.

The nice thing is when I do get a G5, there won't be any incompatibility issues that there are with PCI based cards.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Well, generally when dealing with DV through firewire you're always dealing with some delay which your sequencer usually compensates for.

I have been very happy with my Canopus ADVC 100, they are affordable Firewire DV digitizing units, it is solid, fully blessed by Digidesign who is generally a hard company to please, and works wonders.

They way I work is that I"ll digitize a video through the Canopus, I'll convert it to an mp4 or Sorenson and then I'll import it into my sequencer (Logic).

Why convert it to Sorenson or mp4 you may ask? Well, I feel that raw DV video while looking really great and coming out of my TV instead of a small window on my screen is awesome, it also puts a lot of stress on my hard drive throughput and processor. Logic drowns more easily when I'm running DV video than Sorenson or mp4 so there you go, until I get a G5 I'm sticking with non DV.

The nice thing is when I do get a G5, there won't be any incompatibility issues that there are with PCI based cards.
    Canopus ADVC 100 here also. I have no problem with stress on my hard drive throughput and processor, capturing to DV/NTSC and running the video from a separate bus than the audio. I used to digitize to a firewire drive and run the audio off of SCSI, but now I digitize video to internal ATA and run audio off firewire or SCSI. Very smooth on a G4.
    Most sequencers have a "Set Movie Sync Offset" box that allows you to enter in the offset amount. If you always capture to the same format this will be a set and forget for the most part. At least it's been consistantly 22 quarter frames in ProTools digitizing to DV/NTSC using Premiere.
    Yes, the cards will also stress the processor much more than the box which is virtually invisable.
    BTW, the ADVC 100 is only about $200.

I'll also vote for the Canopus ADVC-100. It works as advertised.

Question to you others using it - what program are you digitizing with? I have been using Imovie which works fine, but it will split the clips at 9 minutes so if you want to take in a whole 44 minute show, sometimes it will split in the middle of a clip with music. Anyone know a way around this? I too am digitizing in DV format and using Logic 6 on a G5 - picture out to the TV.

Thanks -

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ddk
    Hey can you let me know
    what you do to deal with the
    Delay????
    Thanks
    Dave
    Hi, I run Cubase SX 2 with a ADVC 100 (PC) There is a video offset feature as well as plugin delay compensation.

If you're not running SX 2 I would highly recommend upgrading to it.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you guys determine how many frames to set the sync offset to?

Usually i set it with a timecode window burn. But you can also set it to lip-lock or another visual to audible cue.

Yeah, Mp4 is the best performance-to-size-to-quality compression i've found thus far. Its all i use now, very little artifacts for as compressed as it is.

And stream the video from a seperate drive other than your audio/samples drive. On the G5, i keep all my video in the System drive.

Go Back to forum