• Register
  • Help

Topic: Whip percussion

Share/Bookmark

Whip percussion

Does anyone happen to know where I can find a sample of a whip?

cheers,
    Frank

Re: Whip percussion

Don't you know any 'Madames' ?

I think the last time I heard a whip was in 'Rawhide' sung by Frankie Laine...it was a great series in its day....Eric Fleming, Clint Eastwood......nostalgia rules....sorry to go OT...

Frank

Talking Re: Whip percussion

Actually, I seem to recall several examples of "serious" classical music that feature a "whip" sound. (Wasn't it done with that bizarre-looking "clapper" device which had two pieces of thin wood about 2 feet long each?)

What next? Sampled chains? (In my younger days, driving into the Sierra Nevada for skiing, we would see signs that said "Chains Required" and all of us would pipe out "Whips optional!". You had to be there!)

KevinKauai [known to be OT frequently!]

Here, this is a percussionist trick and it is widely used to simulate the whip in Sleigh Ride.
    Take two pieces of wood board 1/2"X3"X3'. Hinge them together at one end. Hold each side in hands and close them together quickly! The crack it makes is very similar to the sound of a whip crack. Trust me, I had to make one for a Christmas concert by demands from the musical director. It's cheep, easy to make and you can vary the degree and sound by how hard you slap the two pieces together. Experimenting with different typed of wood and size give various degrees of sound. I have one here made of solid hickory. I yields the best sound I feel out of them all.
    Hope this helps if not, BUY A WHIP!
    Styxx

yes, that is really very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Here, this is a percussionist trick and it is widely used to simulate the whip in Sleigh Ride.
    Take two pieces of wood board 1/2"X3"X3'. Hinge them together at one end. Hold each side in hands and close them together quickly! The crack it makes is very similar to the sound of a whip crack. Trust me, I had to make one for a Christmas concert by demands from the musical director. It's cheep, easy to make and you can vary the degree and sound by how hard you slap the two pieces together. Experimenting with different typed of wood and size give various degrees of sound. I have one here made of solid hickory. I yields the best sound I feel out of them all.
    Hope this helps if not, BUY A WHIP!
    Great idea Sal and having slapped a couple of planks together, in my time, I can imagine that it would work well......except it will need to be sampled at 8 velocities, pedal up and pedal down.

On stage, though, it would lack the drama of a real whip. Perhaps he could have a real whip on the stage (for effect) and have someone hidden at the back with the planks.. Syncronisation would then be a problem though.....how about a mercury switch in the handle of the whip wired to a light in front of the hidden assistant? He can slap the wood when the light goes on.

Another potential problem with your 'ill-considered' ('crap'- US) suggestion is that I've 'worked out' ('figured' US) that the apparatus would be, in excess of, 6ft long when opened out.....so it would have to go in the 'car' ('auto' US) lengthways. It wouldn't fit thwartships. Not a huge problem I 'suppose' ('guess' US).

Frank

PS I don't really think it's a crap suggestion at all.....except that it would have to be redesigned in metric.....

Whenever you call for a whip in a score, you will get what Styxx described.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Styxx - you should sample your's - or I guess I could just make one - would be a fun ionstrument to play with...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Red face Re: Whip percussion

Yup -- That's the "device" (instrument?) that I remember seeing it. The only difference is that the ones I have seen have a hinge about 8 inches up from a easily-held handle, so perhaps that is the "commercial whip sound" variety available through music specialty places. Granted, a real Indiana Jones-style whip might be more dramatic, but nearby players might get very nervous. (It's the tip of the whip literally breaking the sound barrier that makes the sound -- did you know that? I'm getting ready for "Jeopardy!" so pardon my trivia.)

And, speaking of Xmas concerts, I seem to remember this "wooden whip" being used in "Sleighbells"! (Oh-oh -- now I've forgotten my grandmother's name!)

KevinKauai

P.S. Sampling? I'm sure 4 velocities would be enough. And WHAT pedal? [hee-hee]

On stage, though, it would lack the drama of a real whip.
    Yeah right, I could imagine a percussionist in a philharmonic wielding a genuine 12' bull whip during a performance, Cute.

Styxx - you should sample your's - or I guess I could just make one - would be a fun ionstrument to play with
    Alan, It has been sampled for US distribution only. OH "Crap"!

Another potential problem with your 'ill-considered' ('crap'- US) suggestion
    Just thought I would post it in quotes to make sure everyone understands.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum