• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will GS 3 have better "standard" effects?

Share/Bookmark

Will GS 3 have better "standard" effects?

I know that GS3 has convolution, but will there be an upgrade to the standard chorus, reverb etc effects, or will Tascam leave that kind of thing up to 3rd party plugins?

Thanks,
    Greg.

Re: Will GS 3 have better "standard" effects?

wHAT does that matter, there are so much good VST plug-ins available i think Tascam can never compete with these manufacturers quality!. It is good that they leave this area open for developers like Waves or a powercore platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    wHAT does that matter, there are so much good VST plug-ins available i think Tascam can never compete with these manufacturers quality!. It is good that they leave this area open for developers like Waves or a powercore platform.
    In my opinion it is not unreasonable to expect that Gigastudio come with some good quality basic effects - they don't have to be world-beating, but just reasonably good. If it's not going to, though, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it - I'm just asking the question.

Greg.

Maybe they should put more energy in releasing their sampler product with open structure for Third party developers which is a very fine approval. And more important just in time, when promising release dates! But you are right it was just a question of you, and i don't know the answer. I think they will improve their plug-ins too, don't you think. They say we rebuild the sampler from the ground off!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

They've got a parametric 4-band EQ and Compression on each channel, plus the VST compatibility. There's obviously GigaPulse. The NFX Chorus and Delay are the same, which are fine--not much mystery in a chorus or delay.

From what I saw and heard at NAB, Giga has effects covered. Sure, you can add your own VSTs, but there will likely be a performance hit as the audio must be brought out and back into the kernel. Unless I'm doing something special, like a swept resonant filter or stutter effect, I hope to stay within Giga. And I'd probably add the special effects afterwards in the mix.

Where the VST capability is great is for live. You will be able to add your favorite soft effect without any external routing whatsoever.

-Jon Fairhurst

The NFX Chorus and Delay should be taken out back and shot! The NFX chorus goes into perpetual ringing every 5 minutes and has to be reset. The NFX delay responds only to the right channel input. And then there’s the user interface…

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Amish
    The NFX Chorus and Delay should be taken out back and shot! The NFX chorus goes into perpetual ringing every 5 minutes and has to be reset. The NFX delay responds only to the right channel input. And then there’s the user interface…
    Use VSTs then. I'm glad they didn't waste time developing the chorus and delay effects. The critical ones for me are EQ, compression and ambience. I didn't look closely at the compression effect. I hope it's top notch. The EQ looked like a competent 4 band parametric, which is generally what I've been using anyway. And, of course, GigaPulse is world class - and can be used for delay.

-Jon Fairhurst

Well, GigaPulse Pro is about the best reverb you've ever heard. The EQ and Compression are very nice, or you can download free VST plug-ins like Blockfish for a different flavor. There are dozens of good-quality free VSTs out there. The NFX plug-ins are still there and good quality, about what you'd find built-into any synth. But it's the VST expandability that makes it great.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The VST plugins are really low latency on GS-3 as well. Unless you're using plugins with a big buffer, it doesn't add as much latency as you might imagine.

GigaPulse does rock. You have to get your mind wrapped around it...it is a far crazier tool than you'd think.

Go Back to forum