• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: WinXP SP2

Share/Bookmark

WinXP SP2

The release of Win XP SP2 is imminent. DirectX9c is already available for download.

I know everyone’s busy pontificating about GS3 and its delivery schedule, but it would be truly helpful if someone who’s worked with the SP2 beta, or installed DX9c could comment on their experience.

Re: WinXP SP2

Any chance of it being able touse more ram?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Almost certainly not. Even if they implement the 3GB switch, it's highly unlikely that this will give more memory to the kernel.

SP2 will mostly be a roll-up of the last few months of bug and security fixes. Let's hope it doesn't break anything critical.

-Jon Fairhurst

Question Re: WinXP SP2

Bill,
    Iminent?! I thought it was out.

I had the "vanilla' falvour of XP, then I downloaded some "updates" about a month ago and they turned out to be sludge.
    Processes take longer now, the mouse is eratic in certain programmes.
    "To Service Pack or not to Service Pack, that is the question!".

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    How much RAM does XP recognise at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    2GB. But GS2.5 only uses about 1GB in a 1.5GB system. Go to 2GB and GS2.5 can use about 1.1GB. If GS3 can use more, that will be awesome.

Hopefully 64-bit windows will open things up.

-Jon Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    2GB
    a tiny correction - XP recognizes at least 4 GB, that's what i can proove on a recent system here.
    of course the final word regarding GS3 is not spoken, it is reported that in cooperation with M$ usable RAM could be possibly increased for 50%
    christian

If your DAW is not used for the net then there is no need for it.

Question Re: WinXP SP2

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    If your DAW is not used for the net then there is no need for it.
    This raises an interesting issue.
    Are we required to register GS on line? KONTAKT, for example, uses the serial number on your hard drive, combines it with your grandmother's maiden name, plus the serial number of your issue of the software and divides it by the square root of your name to get you your activation key.

While you're on line doing this, someone is installing SpyWare on your system.
    I would REALLY prefer not to have my GS system exposed to the 'net.

Another issue is, if I have 4GB RAM and GS uses 1.5 to 2.00GB, wouldn't the other 2.00GB be available for Windows, the sequencer, plugins etc.?

I would be VERY cautious in installing SP2 on your XP machines just yet. I have it on my personal PC computer (Not the gigastudio machine). A friend of mine works for Microsoft. It changes A LOT of underlying code (mostly security related)...most of which will probably NOT affect Gigastudio. But, I am afraid to use it on my Giga machine until I get some sort of confirmation from Tascam and the other driver manufacturers (Echo audio for me) on using SP2. This is a major rewrite of XP folks.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

hv

I gotta 2nd that. A big thing it seems to affect is interprocess communication, mostly machine to machine. Problem is that a lot of apps and drivers do virtual machine stuff and get impacted in unexpected ways. Little things like recursive access over a loopback interface, for instance.

On my business lan I haven't had much trouble... mostly figuring out how and when to config the new internal firewall. But I've heard folks who don't implement Microsoft active directory domains (I do) having difficulty with their remote apps (pushed AV updates, for instance)... which I expect might also be the case for folks using MOL, Teleport, Giga VST, MLAN, and maybe even general purpose firewire or USB audio devices. So for now I'm also stearing clear on my audio machines till I get better acquainted, see more complete docs, and get some app and device feedback from manufacturers and other users.

It's really a shame that with all the activation code and machine id stuff we have these days that it's so hard to test apps and updates on a spare machine. Especially one-way updates that can't be uninstalled or easily backed out. I'm dreading the time when an audio app which is important to me gets released with a "requires SP2" or "DX9c" update. At which point it'll be time to fish or cut bait... and say a little prayer.

Howard

Go Back to forum