• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac/PC VNC TCP-IP Tutorial as promised

Share/Bookmark

Mac/PC VNC TCP-IP Tutorial as promised

Hey all,

As promised I've put together a (rather hasty) walkthrough detailing how to:

* Network your OS-X / XP machines up
    * Setup file sharing
    * Install and configure VNC software enabling you to control your PC from your Mac

It's kind of lengthy - I had no idea how many steps there are until you break it down! I've tried to make it straightforward for people who have never played around with networking before, but I may have missed stuff out so *please* shout if anything doesn't make sense or is obviously missing.

The tutorial is in basic text form from my website:

http://www.audiophobic.com/vncnetworking.rtf

I hope people find this useful!

Cheers,

Andy
    http://www.audiopHoBic.com
    Soundtracks for Theatre, Dance & Film

Re: Mac/PC VNC TCP-IP Tutorial as promised

Quote Originally Posted by audiopHoBic
    Hey all,

As promised I've put together a (rather hasty) walkthrough detailing how to:

* Network your OS-X / XP machines up
    * Setup file sharing
    * Install and configure VNC software enabling you to control your PC from your Mac

It's kind of lengthy - I had no idea how many steps there are until you break it down! I've tried to make it straightforward for people who have never played around with networking before, but I may have missed stuff out so *please* shout if anything doesn't make sense or is obviously missing.

The tutorial is in basic text form from my website:

http://www.audiophobic.com/vncnetworking.rtf

I hope people find this useful!

Cheers,

Andy
    Hey Andy,

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I will try this. I can lay my hands on a very nice PC if I want and this might be a big help in having more than one computer share the load, and not have to deal with looking at more than one monitor too.

Thanks again,

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thumbs up Re: Mac/PC VNC TCP-IP Tutorial as promised

Hi Andy,

Thank you!! This is really an excellent tutorial- clear, concise, humorous at the same time. I'm confident that armed with this, I will for the first time ever succeed to get my cross platform file sharing going. And maybe even eliminate a keyboard and mouse or two or three from the clutter around my master keyboard.

In my particular case, I've got two studio Mac's, and two studio PC's - and an 'office' PC on a LAN connected via a 5-port switch. I think I will be able to infer the expansion to additional unique addresses from your tutorial.

Do you have any experience with MidiOverLAN. Will the VNC thing interfere with a heavy midi stream over the same network??

Great job, and thanks again.

Oh, one last question - what the heck is a jaffa cake??? Sounds addictively delicious.

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    In my particular case, I've got two studio Mac's, and two studio PC's - and an 'office' PC on a LAN connected via a 5-port switch. I think I will be able to infer the expansion to additional unique addresses from your tutorial.
    You should have no problem adapting the tutorial to your particular setup. Just make each machine address one higher than the next (192.168.0.1 ...0.2 ..0.3 and so on), as long as each machine has a unique number.

Do you have any experience with MidiOverLAN. Will the VNC thing interfere with a heavy midi stream over the same network??
    Haven't played around with MIDI over lan yet, I'm waiting for the MIDI/Audio over lan apps to go cross platform. However I doubt that VNC would interfere - as long as your MIDI/Lan app is on a different port to VNC. I would keep an eye on the CPU usage though. Midi is not a high demand thing but the networking app it runs through may well be.

Great job, and thanks again.
    No problem! Hope it all works for your system.

Oh, one last question - what the heck is a jaffa cake??? Sounds addictively delicious.
    Oh yes. They are. Jaffa Cakes are a very British institution, they're kind of small circular sponges with a zingy-orangy topping all covered in plain chocolate. Mmmmmmmm. Once you start a tube you *have* to finish...
    They've just brought out "mini jaffas" which come in a bag and are perfect for going to the movies...

Cheers!

Andy

Andy,

I sent you a private message to follow up on this, with a few questions..

Trond

Trond,

I've PM'd a reply - hopfully we can get you sorted soon!

Andy

Thanks very much, Andy. I've thought about trying this many times, but I didn't get very far.

My KVM switch works fine, but this seems like a better system.

Thumbs up Re: Mac/PC VNC TCP-IP Tutorial as promised

I now have this VNC thing working, controlling a gigastudio PC from the Mac. At the same time, I now also have the cross-platform MidiOverLAN working.

Bye bye KVM switch, midi interfaces, and - soon, with the cross platform FX-teleport - bye bye audio interfaces.

Andy, your tutorial was most helpful - I could've never done it without - and I also appreciate your offline help with some of the nits.

Trond

(inter-platform file sharing remains a bit of a work in progress for me....)

Go Back to forum