• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: QLSO Platinum vs Opus I : Make your opinion !

Share/Bookmark

QLSO Platinum vs Opus I : Make your opinion !

Hi all,

We all know that the 2 "famous" libraries QLSO and VSL bring about lots of critics and questions. For those who are interressed in it, here are two links with one of my original score : the first one is performed with QLSO Platinum, and the second one is performed with the VSL Opus I.
    Make your own mind...

http://clardid.ledan.free.fr/COMEDY%20EWQLSO%20.mp3
    http://clardid.ledan.free.fr/COMEDY%20VSL%20OPUS%20.mp3

Did.

Re: QLSO Platinum vs Opus I : Make your opinion !

IMHO Opus 1 is better, even if it costs 1000 dollars (and Platinum = 3000 dollars)

but it would have been more fair to compare platinum with first edition (~ 3000 dollars)

Quote Originally Posted by Didou
    Hi all,
    the first one is performed with QLSO Platinum, and the second one is performed with the VSL Opus I.
    Make your own mind...

http://clardid.ledan.free.fr/COMEDY%20EWQLSO%20.mp3
    http://clardid.ledan.free.fr/COMEDY%20VSL%20OPUS%20.mp3

Did.
    On which lib did you originally write the piece? To me, this would make a difference, as you can get more out of the library you use the most, and could have even written the piece around that particular libraries strengths/weaknesses.

I'm hoping this is not the case, as I'm really interested in hearing the differences between the two!
    Jon

I think the Platinum one is much better, although you could use some of the close mics if you wanted a more defined sound. To me it's like the difference between good and great speakers. But I am biased.

Both sound good in different ways. To me the superior real reverb and brass of QLSO and is a clear winner - the opus one sounds duller in my opinion. I do like the european sound of vsl brass as well though, just not in this context. It really is impossible to compare the two in my opinion, both have strenghts and weaknesses.

I'd like to hear what this piece would sound like with both qlso and vsl combined.

The opus rendering does not even use, as far as I can tell, any performance instruments. So much for a "fair" contest.

Nick, stop blowing your own horn.

by the fact platinum is 2000 dollars higher, IT IS not fair.

Opus 1 is whole tone sampled, and has only one variation for staccato.

But anyway Opus 1 resists well against platinum, for me he is better , some brass moments are better with ewqlso but some moments are inferior, it is clear.
    and the vsl snare drum(or snare drums ensembles) blows up ewqlso snare...

first I think it's not possible to compare two librarys with one track.
    Sometimes I like vsl more, but overall I prefer qlso. especial the orchester hits are better in qlso.

the adjective used by nick "is much better" is useless, there is not so much difference, i've to say : each of these 2 demos sounds samples and synth... but unfortunately it's impossible to be really objective when you are the creator of the library tested in this post.

vsl sounds like a great cd recording
    qlso sounds like a great live recording

this is how it usually breaks down to my ears when comparisons such as these are made.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast