• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Nuendo 2 users?

Share/Bookmark

Nuendo 2 users?

I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 since it was released and feel it's time for a change in sequencers. A fellow composer touted that Nuendo 2 was the way to go and was wondering how many other Nuendo 2 users feel the same way. It has some wonderful features, but I'm wondering if that would justify the $1,000+ price tag.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Nuendo 2 users?

Hi Aaron,

Have a look at Cubase SX. It is based on the same code but Nuendo offers a few more Post features. If you're primarily using it for sequencing, Cubase SX may be all that you need at a much lower price. If you find that you need the extra features in the future, you can upgrade from SX. That'd at least be a cheaper way to get into that camp.

Take a look at Steinberg's website and see what is different between SX and Nuendo.

HTH,
    FV

Yeah. I'll second that. If you're on PC, Cubase SX 2 is probably your best bet. They used the same code as Nuendo. There may be differences with mixing in surround also but they are pretty much the same as far as music production is concerned.

Aaron,

Cubase SX or Nuendo 2 is totally the way to go. I actually use SX for everything. The only major sequencing software I haven't used professionally is Sonor. Over the years I've done gigs in Vision, Performer, Digital Performer, Logic, Pro Tools. Cubase SX and Nuendo are easily the best I've encountered for my work. This is not to speak badly of any of the other programs. The Steinberg stuff is just really happening (in my opinion) and I really like where this company is headed. Plus it's the only one left that's cross-platform. I work on PCs BTW. For composing SX should do the trick. Nuendo has a lot of stuff that you just won't be using. You'll save a bunch of money and can always trade up later. A BIG vote for SX here!

-matt mariano

Cool Re: Nuendo 2 users?

and what's wrong with Sonar 3 may I ask? Hmmmm???

Talking Re: Nuendo 2 users?

I said HMMMM??????

Nuendo is the highest version of Cubase family. If you are doing more of the post production (like surround mixing), Nuendo is certainly one way to go. 2nd highest of Cubase is SX (which I use.) Most of the music production staff, SX is more than good enough.

Sonner 3 is other thing that you should consider in Win. However I think cubase SX or nuendo will be better, if you are doing "music to picture" staff too.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

If you don't need the added features of Nuendo, go SX. I use Nuendo, although i do tons of post work. And i still prefer to score in Logic. SX has all the midi features of Nuendo, so if you are looking forr strictly a high end sequencer, you wont be missing any of Nuendo's features. SX will do 5.1 as well, and Nuendo's 5.1 potential isnt fully unleashed unless you get the additional Surround Edition plug-in pack.

I agree that Sonar is very limiting and has an ancient audio engine. Go German!! You'll never look back!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 since it was released and feel it's time for a change in sequencers. A fellow composer touted that Nuendo 2 was the way to go and was wondering how many other Nuendo 2 users feel the same way. It has some wonderful features, but I'm wondering if that would justify the $1,000+ price tag.

Thanks in advance!
    You should perhaps stick it out just a bit and try SONAR 4. You're probably in the grace period, so you could get a SONAR 3 upgrade and get SONAR 4 for free when it releases. It would be the cheaper upgrade path, and it's quite good.

I'm not sure where the "ancient audio engine" comment comes from. SONAR 3 has a far more flexible audio engine than Cubase, night and day. You can do, literally, tree-style audio routing. Cubase is strictly analog-emulation as far as routing is concerned. There's no contest which is the more progressive approach, and the SONAR engine is as newly coded as anything else out there.

I agree that Sonar is very limiting and has an ancient audio engine. Go German!! You'll never look back!!
    This kind of generalizing does nothing to inform or spread knowledge. It's just a silly, baseless prejudice based on nothing.

Thumbs up Re: Nuendo 2 users?

I own both Cubase SX and Nuendo. I use Nuendo on my "primary" box, and Cubase in on my "office" machine. I put those two distinctions in "quotes" because both machines now contain exactly the same hardware - so the differences between primary and secondary no longer exist. I'm scoring and editing a short film as we speak (sipping coffee and taking an early morning brain break at the moment) and can tell you without hesitation that either Nuendo or Cubase SX would be able to do the job. If you were in a Nu2-based post house that wanted to leverage Nuendo's networking - or if you were locked to a VTR through 9-pin connection, then I'd think you'd want to drop the extra cash for Nuendo (extended surround formats also come to mind). But if you're going to keep everything on one box and not go beyond 5.1 mixing - Cubase SX 2 would be the way to go.

Everything that I'm doing with this film in Nuendo can be done in Cubase SX. As far as the "quality" of the audio engine goes, there are plenty of folks with much better credentials then myself who say that Steinberg's core audio processing can't be beat. A 32-bit floating point engine provides nearly unlimited internal headroom, and with full plug-in delay compensation plus the flexibility to selectively control the process history for audio events makes Cubase and Nuendo a formidable choice. There are already murmurs on version 3 of Nuendo and Cubase being in the pipeline, and I'd imagine that their penchant for innovation has yet to be satisfied.

Remember that Steinberg was the creator of ASIO, VST, VST System Link, and at least 50% of the ReWire protocol. These are not "adapted" to Cubase or Nuendo through wrappers or third-party tools, but part of the application's core code and function.

Oh - and when I need to generate a chart for session player to come in and record a track live - I can actually produce a notated page for them to play - from the very same sequencer... I wouldn't publish a score with it - but for recording parts in the studio it's more than enough.

Side Note: If you want to get a great surround encoder for a few hundred bucks - check out the SRS Circle Surround VST plugin.

Additional Note: I wrote an extensive Cubase SX2 review for AudioMIDI.com some time ago - and now it's not available on their new site. I asked them to either re-publish or give me the text so that I can post it on my own site - I'll follow-up with a link one way or the other for those that are interested in reading it.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum