• Register
  • Help

Topic: So tell us how is Giga VST???

Share/Bookmark

Question So tell us how is Giga VST???

Ok y'all, how is FX's Giga VST working for those of you have it? Has anyone tried it with VOTA's word program? What do you like and what do you dislike? I'm curious...

Re: So tell us how is Giga VST???

I have the weirdest problem with it, and I appear to be alone. It works great until I utilize all four ports of GigaStudio... for each port you open a seperate VSTi which transmits the data. As soon as I open the 4th I get hanging and dropped notes.

Its a real pain becuase nowone seems to know what to do about it, and very little support on the forums. So I'm really sad about it since all my templates use all 4 ports....

That asside, it works great - that is - it does what it says. Lets you do an Audio export with both your VSTi's and slave gigasystems. This means that you can avoid bouncing wave files... If I could get it to work for my needs I would buy it right away, since it would REALLY speed up my work flow. I have 4 computers and just doing minor changes means recording all four systems and bouncing them together.

If I could avoid that and get it to work completley this program would be a godsend!

Godsend is right, when the bugs are worked out anyway. So far I've gotten all 4 ports on 2 giga machines working, with no noticeable latencies. But my problems center around an inability to route properly through the VSL performance tool. So rendering is only an option for me if I am not using things like legato instruments, which I tend to use alot, cuz well, they rock. =P

Aside from that, there is only one other problem. I get a "click/pop" noise at regular intervals through my left channel (returns from the Giga machines via the FX-MAX lan-audio drivers), but they are spaced out far enough that it hasn't been too bad. Rendering is flawless, so the mixdowns come out wonderfully. After solving the VSL-PerfTool thing, this is the next thing to figure out for me.

Bottom line as far as I can tell: this is "almost" working perfectly, and once the software has been out a very little while longer, I'm feeling pretty confident that this will be THE solution I and many have been waiting for. It already works well enough to blow me away, and even with the current troubles, I like it enough to continue working with it as is now.

I've posted a few things at FX-Max.com under the Problems section of the forum, and at VSL under Giga-topics, detailing more specifically the nature of the problems I've had. There are other posts regarding other problems as well, and all should give a pretty decent idea as to how its working so far.

I'm just hoping I can get the demo working well before the 14day trial is up. I'd feel way better about spending the $200 for a host+server+server setup if I could get it working well first. I'm still gunna buy it, I'd just feel better about it.

Y & =P
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo450
    Godsend is right, when the bugs are worked out anyway. So far I've gotten all 4 ports on 2 giga machines working, with no noticeable latencies. But my problems center around an inability to route properly through the VSL performance tool. So rendering is only an option for me if I am not using things like legato instruments, which I tend to use alot, cuz well, they rock. =P
    We've tested this at TrueSpec. To get the VSL performance tool working (pre-GS3) you have to get MIDIoverLAN and set up a completely new set of virtual MIDI "pipes." Once this is done, you can then run the Performance Tool. However, and this isn't completely confirmed, I understand that the Alternation Mode from the Performance Tool works in a similar manner within GS 3. However, for Legato and Repetition you need the Performance Tool.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Well, I can confirm this first hand. MOL is the only way I've been able to get legato working, midi is routed via MOL to the PerfTool on a Giga 2.54 machine, and Giga outs are using the FX-MAX drivers so they come digitally back over the network just fine (minus the periodic clicks of course). The problem is, this eliminates the "render" functionality. You must be running via the G-T Tabs in order for the render to work, so going out MOL doesn't allow for this.

The clicks I hear keep me from being able to bounce the legato tracks (cuz clicks get recorded real-time), so rendering becomes essential until the pops are worked out.

Is there a way (I'm away from my setup until tommorrow) to maybe run the midi out through a GIGA-Teleport Tab, into a MOL pipe, accross the network and into MOL pipe, then to the VSL Tool and then into Giga? That would allow for rendering I expect, I just don't know how I'd get the signal from GIGA-T into a MOL pipe?

=)
    mike

ANyone else experience sudden crashes of their sequencer when using GT?

We've tested this at TrueSpec. To get the VSL performance tool working (pre-GS3) you have to get MIDIoverLAN and set up a completely new set of virtual MIDI "pipes." Once this is done, you can then run the Performance Tool. However, and this isn't completely confirmed, I understand that the Alternation Mode from the Performance Tool works in a similar manner within GS 3. However, for Legato and Repetition you need the Performance Tool.
    No - you don't need MOL at all. VSL perf tool's working fine here without MOL on GS2.54 and rendering giga audio on mixdowns. I use Maple Virtual Midi Cable as the link between GVA and the performance tool with the following settings:-

On VSL performance tool:-
    Midi Input = MAPLEMIDIIN:PORT1 Midi output = NEMESYSMIDIOUT:PORT1

On GVA:-
    Under "giga midi ports" - VST Port[1] - deselect the port (so it's blue not white), and under "external midi port" - select from the dropdown list "Maple Midi Out: Port 1"

Everything's working great here - not had chance to install on all my giga PCs just a test rig at the moment, but I'm getting 5.8ms latency from GVA which works for me.
    I recently changed my motherboard to one which includes a gigabit NIC, and my FX Teleport latency is much lower now than before - on my previous motherboard I had a gigabit lan PCI card and couldn't get lower than 23ms but onboard NICs tax the PCI bus less than gigabit PCI cards. I also upgraded my gigabit switch to one which supported Jumbo frames - not sure if that made any difference but according to the network boffins at www.storagereview.com it does.

Ian

Ian, that's great latency. Which motherboard and gigabit switch did you get?

Thanks for the thorough tips, Ian. Replace MapleTools with MOL's "Pipes" and that's how I've been trying to run it. But, as others have said, "deselecting the Port1 button under GVA yields no midi traffic at all, no matter how the External midi out is routed." Borrowing yer template, mine looks like:

On VSL performance tool:-
    Midi Input = "PIPE-IN 0" Midi output = NEMESYSMIDIOUT:PORT1

On GVA:-
    Under "giga midi ports" - VST Port[1] - deselect the port (so it's blue not white), and under "external midi port" - select from the dropdown list "PIPE-OUT 0"

With the GVA Midi Port active (white), I get doubling of midi signals, one that gets routed the correct way through VSL-Tool from the external outs, the other from the GVA Port directly. Again, with the GVA Midi Port inactive (blue), nothing gets routed via the External outputs, so nothing reaches VSL-Tool or Giga afterwards.

Obviously, for you this isn't a problem. I've seen identical reports to mine from folks using Maple, so it wouldn't seem to be a MOL/Maple thing, but I haven't ruled that out.

I suppose questions will mostly fly around 'till Max returns from what I'm sure is a very well-deserved vacation. Be cool if we could figure it out sooner tho.

PanzerD - The switch was SMC 8505T - apparently the only one sub-$1000 which supports jumbo frames - cost me £91 but they also do a cheaper 5port version.

http://www.smc-europe.com/english/pr...05T_8508T.html

The motherboard's the new Asus A8V (socket 939 Athlon64) although I imagine any moby with gigabit NIC would be fine. A big factor is getting your sequencers soundcard latency as low as possible. FXT/GVA seems to work best at double your sequencers latency (it does on my system anyway), so if you can run at 3ms latency FXT/GVA seems happy at 6ms. I've just been working with it even lower at 2.9ms (Nuendo2 running at 1.5ms) but am starting to get a few dropouts.

I've been running FX Teleport with EWQLSO, Stormdrum, PA2 etc over 5 PCs for a while and everything's coped fine so I've got high hopes for running GVA on the same giga PCs - will let you know how I get on.

MichaelAngelo - sorry to hear you haven't got it working - I also tried it a while back with VSL's own midi pipe driver and couldn't get that one working, although it was with an early beta of GVA and haven't tried it since... I'm sure Max will get to the bottom of it shortly.

Ian

Go Back to forum