• Register
  • Help

Topic: Echo cards Gsif buffer choice?

Share/Bookmark

Echo cards Gsif buffer choice?

Hi,
    My Gstudio machine uses a Gina 24 card. This card have a contro panel where you can choose Gsif buffers from 64 to 2048K. With 2048 the latency is awfull so currently I'm using 256. I was wondering how other users adjust this buffer.

cheers

Ric

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Echo cards Gsif buffer choice?

You can run it as low as 64 with no problems (and great latency), but I'd run G3 at 128 to allow just a little more buffering for GPulse/VST.

Thanks a lot for your reply. One more question if you don't mind:
    In what case going for bigger buffers is recommended? I noticed that cards from other brands generaly do not offer the option to adjust buffer size in Gsif mode.

thanks

Ric

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ricren
    Thrnks a lot for your reply. One more question if you don;t mind:
    In what cases going for bigger buffers is recommended? I noticed that other brand cards generaly do not offer to adjust buffer size in Gsif mode.

thanks

Ric
    Hi Ric,

In GS2.X, there's no need to run buffers higher than necessary. I have always run them at 64. If you ever hear gapping or clicking, you can try raising the buffer size.

As if will affect GS-3, that's a different story. If a plugin wants to write larger buffers, you can theoretically get some clicks as a result. As far as I know, there's no need even on GS-3 to run Echo GSIF buffers over 128. Certainly not over 256. At that point, you'd start detecting a bit of latency.

You're right about most GSIF drivers not offering buffer adjustments. Echo has always written great GSIF drivers for the Layla/Gina. I think there was one card that has some GSIF problems, but I've sure never experienced one on any of the Laylas or Ginas.

Go Back to forum