• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some statistics

Share/Bookmark

Some statistics

I spoke to an audio director of a game company.. here is a few of the things he told me:

- he gets about 2 emails a week with people who want to do music for games (from big names aswell, he mentioned Jepser Kyd from the Hitman series)
    - 9 out of 10 have no chance what so ever
    - 3 a year might have industry experience

I guess that kind of confirms what most people already know. Its a TOUGH business to get into - but gets easier once inside.

Just thought I would share the info - might interest someone aspiring to get in

Red face Re: Some statistics

Well, that information is certainly sobering... and maybe a bit soul-crushing---ha! Good to know though, and I thank you for posting it!!

Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

Re: Some statistics

Yes... im pretty sure thats the way to go

Just use reverese psychology;

Gentleman, we are here today to decide whether YOUR game deserves to have MY MUSIC in it.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

also.. if you see the stats on e.mails and decide not to send one in..

well the next person will have a go anyway..

persistance..

write the e.mails... it works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    I spoke to an audio director of a game company.. here is a few of the things he told me:

- he gets about 2 emails a week with people who want to do music for games (from big names aswell, he mentioned Jepser Kyd from the Hitman series)
    - 9 out of 10 have no chance what so ever
    - 3 a year might have industry experience

I guess that kind of confirms what most people already know. Its a TOUGH business to get into - but gets easier once inside.

Just thought I would share the info - might interest someone aspiring to get in
    Looking at this in a positive way........

2 e-mails a week is about 100 e-mails a year.....
    9 out of 10 of those have no chance which leaves.....
    1 out of 10 that do stand a chance which means.......
    10 people a year have a chance of which only.......
    3 have had previous industry experience (assuming none of these fall into the 'no chance' category') which leaves.........
    7 people per year who stand a chance with no previous industry experience.

Have faith in your ability, and assume you'll be one of the seven (assuming you don't already have experience of course).

I'm a 'glass is half full' kind of person

Steve

Statistics...

Are still statistics. Because it's all about finding the right people and being at the right places. (no sh*t, Sherlock?)

I never imagined going straight to the "top" and never bothered to send any awkward emails to nosy professionals who probably would have told me just where to stick my career, instead I started from "nothing" and worked my way up with guys who had the same solid determination as I did, and I guess it has paid off because I'll be working full-time as a composer for a gaming company soon.

"Its a TOUGH business to get into - but gets easier once inside."

Exactly! The problem with "big" games is that you will probably never score one (ever) unless you have already scored one... See the dilemma this causes? :-)

Paul

Go Back to forum