• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Roll

Share/Bookmark

Question Piano Roll

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. So many people here either seem to use the score editor of their sequencer or even something like Sibelius. What would I gain from score sequencing. I'd lose pinpoint accuracy of note placement, duration and dynamics. What would I gain in return?
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Smile Re: Piano Roll

Personally I never use the Score editor in Cubase SX 2 (yet, at least) for real editing. I need the "piano roll" for precise editing and don' yet find it easy to place notes on a staff with the computer mouse. (I could be a convert sometime, but it hasn't happened yet.)

My style of "composition" relies heavily on [1] playing the part into the sequencer, [2] sometimes printing out the line (with or without additional voices) on an actual printed page, and [3] making revisions -- usually in the piano roll mode.

A lot of it comes down to what you comfortable with and I'm glad that my sequencer offers many choices. (At some points, I also resort to the "MIDI List Editor" for extremely fine manipulation of MIDI messages.)

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

Re: Piano Roll

I think it's just a question of experience and background...some people are coming to GPO from a 'legit' compositional background, more comfortable with putting notes on paper (or a digital reprentation of such). Others of us have years of MIDI sequencing and audio editing experience, and perhaps compose with a more improvisational method. Even if I'm working from a written page, I'll always prefer to play passages into the sequencer when possible and then tweak them in a graphic editor for maximum expressiveness.

On the other hand, when I'm arranging for a live band (often write arrangements for a band with 4-piece horn section) I just work directly in Finale since the notation is the finished product, not the sequenced performance...in this case GPO or other sounds just help me judge my decisions.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. So many people here either seem to use the score editor of their sequencer or even something like Sibelius. What would I gain from score sequencing. I'd lose pinpoint accuracy of note placement, duration and dynamics. What would I gain in return?
    This is a great question.

Though I have used hardware MIDI stuff for over 14 years now, I am a newbie at software-based MIDI sequencing.
    Until I got the GPO, my primary computer based work was all on Finale and a little in ProTools for mixing acoustic stuff.
    But now, I use Finale a LOT and Cubase a LOT. And often, I use them for the same project.
    I have found a happy medium working in both areas.
    Unless I am doing pop style stuff, which I mostly improvise, I start with a score - since I am more comfortable SEEING the notes and chord structure and patterns, etc. But I like playing the parts LIVE into Cubase and editing. Often I will import a Midi file created with Finale into Cubase and fine tune CC info and "de-quantize" tracks to make them sound more human like.
    I never use the piano roll in cubase. I prefer Finale if I am working with the score.

My 2 cents.

Jerry Wickham

I use a score editor with GPO because I run GPO on a laptop and bought it to increase my composing speed (stop spending so much time tweaking midi) and take advantage of the benifits of music notation. So, with GPO, I drag & drop every note (though I am now looking for a small two octave USB KB - suggestions?). Score notation is nice because it allows you to see the relationships in the music that your musical training taught you. I can't see these things on a piano roll and I can't hear them as well as I can see them. The down side to entering midi in score notation is that music, since it is quantized, sounds stiff compared with midi that is "played in." Also, of course, when you get to midi editing there is the control issue. I use Sonar Producer/VSL on my desktop systems and like that too except I can't view my music in music notation. Also, I like the freedom of a laptop and a wireless network.

In short I have yet to find a happy medium that gives me both the notation and the control I want. I am quite happy with my GPO approach where I can plug in notes, have GPO work its magic with note durations vs. sample selection and stop tweaking the midi to death. It all depends on what your goals are.

Go Back to forum