• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any idea of where I can go to see live set ups?

Share/Bookmark

Any idea of where I can go to see live set ups?

I live in Colorado and It seems that no one knows what gigastudio is, No one knows how to use cubase, or sonar etc, in my music stores. I desparatly want to learn how to use these tools, but I do not learn by reading text, I am more visual. Does anybody have any ideas of where I could go to see a live studio set up to see how to make everything work. Idealy something thats not $100k set up. Something like a home studio that would be set up similar to how I am now. I'm frustrated beyong belief trying to lean how to use something from scratch. It's like trying to teach yourself Calculous if you only went through Algabra in HS, you might get bits and pieces, but I feel like I'm wasting time and money.

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: Any idea of where I can go to see live set ups?

Seth,

What are you trying to accomplish with your studio? Will you only use samples, or will you record live instruments as well? If so, will you only track one instrument at a time, or might you have multiple players/tracks going on at once? Also, how many computers will you use? One for the whole enchilada, or a separate sample player PC? Also, will you be doing a small number of rock/pop tracks, or a Wagnerian symphony?

BTW, I can relate to visual and hands-on learning!

-Jon Fairhurst

Hi Jon,
    Well the purpose for the type of sound is for short video clips 3-10 minutes of background music for my church mission trips that we do. I plan on doing movie trailer type music with some choral type music. I'd also like to possibly do game music or film too given the opertunity. For the most part all the sounds will be samples, with the ocasional live recording of guitar and possible violin,flute,and bongo type drums.
    As far as recording goes, I've never recorded with gigastudio or other products, I used to do 1 track at a time on my Roland XP60 keyboard since it had a 3.5 floppy drive on it and was a workstation I could layer midi tracks one at a time. (I was a poor student then and could not aford a computer or any other products) I've since purchased giga studio, sonar XL, several different librarys for giga, and picked up some of the neat EWQL Kontact player things such as Stormdrums and the Bosi plug in. I have 2 dedicated computers, but primarily only use one. I had Sonar on a separate machine but never could get it to work with giga. (Hence my conection confusion) I would say on average from my old midi tracks I've done that I'd only have 10ish tracks max per performance, unless I'm doing an orchestrated piece. Style wise will vary but probably more Media Venture type sounds and epic choral pieces with VOTA (if I could ever figure out how to use it)
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

how much can you spend?

Go Back to forum