• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lowering the tone somewaht: ABBA arr.

Share/Bookmark

Lowering the tone somewaht: ABBA arr.

.. or: "When arrangers have too much time on their hands."

Hi folks. I fully realise I'm in high company in here and lowering the tone somewhat, but I've put the GPO in a pop context again: four Abba pieces (Money/Dancing Queen/SOS/Mamma Mia) as a medley. Think of it as a (possibly overly) sweet desert to the other beautiful stuff in this forum.

It should be atop the list here: http://www.hawksley.net/mp3

Sorry it's so big - it runs to nearly 7 minutes of music.

I've toiled over this for 48 hours (over the course of 8 days), finally kept my ailing network alive long enough on Sunday to do the production work.

My usual caveats apply - band/percussion/piano not GPO, rest is though).

The concept was from an old BBC library instrumental they used to play in the late 1970's and early 80's (when I was a very small child) while we waited for Programmes For Schools to begin. I was always totally captivated by their Abba medley (which was always better than the programme which followed), so now I've got the tools (the talent is still on order - should arrive by UPS soon :-) I thought I'd take a shot at it.

Everything's been against me on this one - computer viruses, unreliable network equipment, the dreaded low-mid interference distortion, bad cables, you name it. It's nearly done me in - but it IS done, finally!

Hope you like it as much as I do!

Very best,
    John

Re: Lowering the tone somewaht: ABBA arr.

John,

Wow! Way to go! This is some world-class music here!

Even though I am an old dude, I like your music very much. You have a great touch and you have put together a really nice arrangement. It's obvious that you spent a lot of time crafting this.

This is worth a second and a third and a fourth listen!

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Larry A.

Ha ha This is a very cool arrangement and a nice display of the GPO in a way I never would have thought of!

Though not terribly fond of disco - and I was too young to be dancing around like that in the 70's anyway, I really liked ABBA. My sisters played their records all the time.
    Thanks for sharing this little blast to the past and giving me yet another level of accomplishment with the GPO that I can aspire to.

Hat's Off to you!

Jerry Wickham

Larry, Jerry - thanks very much! It was great fun to do (okay, gruelling but fun!). I love Abba too, it was certainly not a chore to work on this.

Yeah, I feel like a fraud - we've got Wagner and Satie; some really lovely original stuff.. and then me with this pop track. Oh well - each to his (or her) own :-)

Thanks again for giving it a listen - very much appreciated!

-John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Larry, Jerry - thanks very much! It was great fun to do (okay, gruelling but fun!). I love Abba too, it was certainly not a chore to work on this.

Yeah, I feel like a fraud - we've got Wagner and Satie; some really lovely original stuff.. and then me with this pop track. Oh well - each to his (or her) own :-)

Thanks again for giving it a listen - very much appreciated!

-John
    I laughed my arse off. In a good way; this is seriously good orchestration. And don't worry. Abba are way better than Wagner. The drums sound a bit 'lite' for me, in a kind of 'hooked on classics' kind of way. I'd either beef them up or lose them all together. This is soooo near James Last and awful stuff like that, but you've kind of pulled it off. Amusing and well done.

BTW did Larry realise it was an Abba Cover?
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    I laughed my arse off. In a good way; this is seriously good orchestration. And don't worry. Abba are way better than Wagner. The drums sound a bit 'lite' for me, in a kind of 'hooked on classics' kind of way. I'd either beef them up or lose them all together. This is soooo near James Last and awful stuff like that, but you've kind of pulled it off. Amusing and well done.

BTW did Larry realise it was an Abba Cover?
    Yes, Larry is fully aware of that. Larry was a radio personality (announcer and disk jockey) for over thirty-seven years. Larry is old but he is still "with it".

Regards,

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: Lowering the tone somewaht: ABBA arr.

Oh man that's alot of work, so cool to hear how GPO works in there

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Oh man that's alot of work, so cool to hear how GPO works in there
    hi sfiks, dpdan! Yeah, fits really well into these contexts.

That section at 4'30 is one of my fave bits too :-) The orchestration there is clarinets and bassoons, I think bass clari too (don't have the sequence open). it's quite a tidy segue!

Best, all,
    John

Go Back to forum