• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Right Wing Media Strikes Again!

Share/Bookmark

The Right Wing Media Strikes Again!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    More Proof that the media is run by the right. And this is the stuff that REALLY matters, because when the media decides to affect the election, we have lost our democracy. The following text is from a scientific polling site.
    http://www.electoral-vote.com/ The site simply collects poll data from the major US polls and compiles and organizes it. In spite of the fact that this data is based on major polls, (some of these are purposefully slanted by the pollsters. This goes both ways but Republicans have more influence) Kerry is still leading. But the media says Bush is ahead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Electoral Vote Predictor 2004: [nss] Kerry 290 [nss] Bush 237

Strong Kerry (189)
    Weak Kerry (33)
    Barely Kerry (68)
    Exactly tied (11)
    Barely Bush (53)
    Weak Bush (59)
    Strong Bush (125)
    [nss]
    July 26 New polls: FL MO OH
    Welcome Electoral college FAQ
    Americans abroad Foreign nationals President Bush's record
    Political websites Political humor Other good stuff
    Historical trend Enhancements Election 2000
    News from the Votemaster

Good news for George Bush in the two most important states. A new Gallup poll puts him ahead 50% to 46% in Florida, with Nader at 1%. A new Columbus Dispatch poll puts him ahead in Ohio as well, by 44% to 47%, with Nader at 2%. Finally, a Gallup poll in Missouri has Bush and Kerry tied, but a Survey USA poll we already reported for the same time period as the Gallup poll has Kerry ahead by 2%, so we have averaged the two.

Despite being ahead in Florida and Ohio, Bush is still behind in the electoral college, largely due to the Midwest. Today's survey can be regarded as the benchmark against which the convention bounce can be measured.

The final converted versions of the spreadsheets are still not available. Probably tomorrow.

The AP ran a story Sunday saying that Bush is ahead in the electoral college. They claim that they following states are tossups: New Mexico, Wisconsin, West Virginia. In a generic sense they are, but the most recent polls in these states are as follows:
    State Kerry Bush Poll
    New Mexico 49 42 Zogby (July 10)
    Wisconsin 48 42 American Research Group (July 15)
    West Virginia 43 51 Zogby (July 15)

These leads are well outside the MoE. For the moment, Kerry is ahead in New Mexico and Wisconsin and Bush is ahead in West Virginia.

The story also says Arizona and Missouri are leaning towards Bush. Not according to the data. Here it is
    State Kerry Bush Poll
    Arizona 42 41 Arizona State Univ. (July 18)
    Missouri 48 45 Research 2000 (July 22)
    Missouri 47 47 Gallup (July 22)

The data say these states are statistical ties. They are not leaning towards Bush at the moment.

It is certainly true that about 20 states are going to be very close, but there is no basis for saying that Bush is ahead in the electoral college now. A more accurate statement would be Kerry has 222 electoral votes strongly for him or leaning in his direction and Bush has 184 strong or leaning. The rest are tossups. Thus Kerry is ahead in the electoral college right now. But don't bet on it. AP should assign a more experienced political reporter to this kind of story next time.

Re: The Right Wing Media Strikes Again!

But the "right-wing media" may not be using an average of all the polls to base their analysis. They may have conducted their own poll, or may just be citing a Zogby poll or some obscure poll no one's even heard of.

And as you stated, some of those polls' questions are very pointed which we can fairly say will not turn out to be accurate. So is the AP selectively choosing data that spins it to look as if Bush is ahead or are they just acquiring their story from the freshest data that's available? Isn't it the AP that refuses to use the word terrorist? It could go either way.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Yeah...that right wing media sure is in control of censoring information alright!

Kind of like how the USA today hired Ann Coulter to write a column during the DNC convention and also hired Michael Moore to write a column for the upcoming RNC convention. That is balanced right? One on the very right and one on the very left.

Unfortunately, the one on the right just got her column pulled because it was not what USA today wanted. (http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc1.htm)(But one can still read it if they know to go to http://www.anncoulter.com/). I mean come on...you hire Ann Coulter, you know what you are getting. I would say the same thing about Michael Moore as well.

But of course...Michael Moore's column will get printed. Yep....that definitely is a "right wing" media bias. Yes sir.

"Coulter has been hired for Boston, Moore has been hired for NY," a USA TODAY source explained, unaware of the fallout with Coulter in Boston.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

To replace Coulter, USA Today has hired Jonah Goldberg who's a lot better than Coulter (and a lot more humorous).

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg.asp

I would agree that Jonah Goldberg is better than Coulter. I just think it was better matched when they had one nut up there opposite another nut. Seemed more appropriately "balanced". Then again...if the left and/or USA is happy proping up as some sort of mainstream "from the left" response...I think putting nuts up there is good for the left.

I go back to my first belief though that when you hire Ann Coulter, you know what you are getting...unless USA today is completely run by young boy scout interns as opposed to seasoned journalists. Then again...it is USA today we are talking about here.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    I would agree that Jonah Goldberg is better than Coulter.
    To even suggest that Coulter is the rightwing counterpart of Moore is ridiculous. Coulter's from another friggin' planet. Not one thing she says is based on fact.

No matter how hard you try, you can't say the same about Moore.

That said, I don't think USA Today should have pulled Coulter. Let her speak. She'll only succeed in putting her foot in her mouth as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    I just think it was better matched when they had one nut up there opposite another nut.
    Moore is opinionated, bombastic and vocal, but I haven't seen him act nutty - unless you feel that people with left-leaning beliefs are nuts. Besides - newsflash! - Moore isn't all that liberal, he just complains the loudest. Heck, he supported Clark for president during the primaries. Come to Portland Oregon some time and I'll introduce you to the *real* left wing. Or you could just tune in to KBOO community radio (http://www.kboo.org) any weekday morning. You might even catch their trans-gender show.

Coulter, on the other hand, has gone well past the nut line on numerous occassions.

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty. We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors."

There are no good Democrats.

God says, "Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours."

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

That's not conservative. And it's certainly not compassionate or based on family values. It's, well, nuts.

The day that Moore advocates killing conservatives is the day that I'll group him with the likes of Coulter.

"F__ all these small businesses - f_ 'em all! Bring in the chains. The small businesspeople are the rednecks that run the town and suppress the people. F_ 'em all. That's how I feel." - Michael Moore
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

I suppose it never occurred to anyone that reporting that Bush is ahead actually benefits Kerry? It gives Bush supporters a false sense of security and may keep them from turning out at the polls, while it will encourage Kerry supporters to turn out at the polls and work harder at grass roots campaigning in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness
    "F__ all these small businesses - f_ 'em all! Bring in the chains. The small businesspeople are the rednecks that run the town and suppress the people. F_ 'em all. That's how I feel." - Michael Moore
    Yeah, that statement is pretty off the wall, though I can understand the motivation.

I used to live in a relatively small town. (Grass Valley, CA, population 8,500). Nevada City is next door (2,500), but you had to drive an hour to Sacramento if you wanted to visit a shopping mall. The whole county (Nevada) had about 70,000 people and stretched all the way to the Nevada border.

It was pretty idyllic as long as you didn't get in the middle of the local politics, which was a good old boy network of a small number of local businessmen. I have a couple of friends who left the area because their livelyhood depended on getting permits, which were hard to get after challenging "the network".

I support small, local businesses, but I've also seen how they can hogtie small town politics in petty ways. Who knows what the local politics of Arcata (the town Moore was referring to in his statement) were like?

Again, had Moore spoken about killing the small business people, then he'd be in Coulter territory.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast