• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reviews of GPO

Share/Bookmark

Reviews of GPO

I mentioned this in a post a week or so ago for those who missed it.

Computer Music magazine (which I received today- 16th July) has finally reviewed GPO....giving it a score of 9/10 which is very good for them. It's a short review but should increase the number of CubaseSX users (popular in Europe). It's a pity that they didn't say "listen to the demos on the Garritan site" .....that would clinch it for many. There was a link to Garritan.com so most will have the nous to have a look I would have thought. The concluding paragraph of the article reads:

There isn't room here to go into all of GPO's highlights, but we feel sure it will be a huge hit with budding composers who want truly authentic sounds. It provides not only a pro-sounding sample library that covers an entire orchestra, but also performance elements that give it an extra dimension. Pretty impressive given the price. (Pretty fair conclusion too, I think)

I was getting miffed that no one had reviewed GPO yet in SOS or CM and I was intending to post to that effect. It's high time. It was annoying that SOS had reviewed EWQL Silver/ Gold which came out after GPO. Gary will understand the reason's for this better than me.....Perhaps it's still to come

SOS mentioned it in news some time back but still no review after 9months! After all GPO was the first of the new breed of affordable and easily articulatable? orchestral sample players. I can't understand why they haven't covered this unless it's seen as not being professional enough for the direction they want their magazine to take.

I must say that I have SOS back to 1986 and I don't think that it's as good, these days, as it used to be. Of course there's not the constant exciting release of sound modules etc and they haven't quite kept up with the Computer based side of it. I think they are more interested in the 'professional' level gear and people. I may well discontinue my subscriptions and go with Computer Music which seems to be covering my bases in a better way these days.

Frank

Re: Reviews of GPO

So there is finally a review of GPO? It's about time. Back when I was looking to purchase a sample library (a little over a month ago) the only information I could really find about GPO was in this forum and on Gary's site. Hopefully some of the other music mags will review it ( and GOS as well) so more people besides us will know what great products Gary puts out.
    Tim

I have it on good authority that there will be a very nice review of GPO in the August 2004 Keyboard magazine. I don't know when it hits the stands.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I have it on good authority that there will be a very nice review of GPO in the August 2004 Keyboard magazine. I don't know when it hits the stands.
    Hopefully they gave GPO to Jim Aiken or Ernie Rideout to review. Those other guys over at Keyboard don't know orchestra from madonna'sbra....

Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    Hopefully they gave GPO to Jim Aiken or Ernie Rideout to review. Those other guys over at Keyboard don't know orchestra from madonna'sbra....
    OK Nexus.....You seem to be a man of the world....What IS the difference between an orchestra and madonna's bra????

Less pointed?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I just got that in the mail this morning. I'm not a subscriber, but they sent a comp copy in the hopes I'll subscribe. The GPO review was overwhelmingly positive, and the headline Pros and Cons were:

Pros: Excellent sample quality. Very playable with default controller assignments. Lots of tutorial help available online.

Cons: Requires powerful late-model computer. (Well, not really, but it helps.) Doesn't perform equally well on all hosts and platforms yet. (That's accurate.)

It also mentions under system requirements 1.8 GHz and 1 GB RAM, but of course those are really only recommendations, not requirements. I've been using GPO just fine with 1.7 GHz and 768 RAM.

The magazine also has a review of the E/W series and indicates that as a "Key Buy", but it doesn't specify if they mean the $2,995 Platinum or the $295 Silver.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    OK Nexus.....You seem to be a man of the world....What IS the difference between an orchestra and madonna's bra????
    Fewer men have handled an orchestra?

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Fewer men have handled an orchestra?

Baaaaaazing.

The brass players blow horns?
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

ha ha ha

Sorry to wrestle this back on topic. I just read the CM review. I think what's really good is that GPO is now appealing to people who don't only do orchestral music (a bit like myself!). Believe it or not, I had a some money to spend on kit and I had a hard time not choosing betwen GPO and EWS, but choosing between GPO and Reaktor! I know it sounds weird. But it was 'do I make do with my old orchestral samples and get reaktor?' or 'do I make do with my old soft synths and get GPO?'
    The beauty of GPO is that on the one hand it's a flexible sample library. On the other it's a VST, a huge choice of very ready to play instruments ready to be plugged into Cubase and rewired with Reason.

Go Back to forum