• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "Golan"

Share/Bookmark

"Golan"

This is "Golan", my work for harpsichord and orchestra.

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/Golan.mp3

Regards,

Larry A.

Re: "Golan"

Very nice, Larry, I like how you left plenty of room for the guitars to come through. So often composers forget that the guitar sound is easily swallowed up by too much orchestral goings on in the background.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Very nice, Larry, I like how you left plenty of room for the guitars to come through. So often composers forget that the guitar sound is easily swallowed up by too much orchestral goings on in the background.

Karl
    Thank you, Karl. You always have something good and encouraging to say about my music efforts and I really appreciate it.

I am going to check to see if you have a web site so that I may hear your music.

Best regards,

Larry A.

Larry,

Of everything you've posted to date, this is my favorite. It still has a strong rhythmic drive (characteristic of your music), but that aspect is more understated than in your other pieces. I think this gives it a "smoother" feel, overall. Thanks for posting it.

Rich
    Richard Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by RichG
    Larry,

Of everything you've posted to date, this is my favorite. It still has a strong rhythmic drive (characteristic of your music), but that aspect is more understated than in your other pieces. I think this gives it a "smoother" feel, overall. Thanks for posting it.

Rich
    My thanks to you, Rich G. for your kind comments.

Regards,

Larry A.

It's nicely composed, but maybe a bit synthetic sounding? I was waiting for the 'guitar' to come in, then I realised the strange harpsichord thing I was listening to was the guitar. I don't know if it's because I'm a guitarist myself but I have never heard anything sampled that sounds remotely guitar-like. My advice would be to just use the GPO harpsichord and call it a harpsichord piece! Don't take that the wrong way. It's not a reflection on your composition skills.
    Overall the whole thing is a bit easy on the ear for my taste, but cleverly done.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    Overall the whole thing is a bit easy on the ear for my taste, but cleverly done.
    Duh...and I've been laboring, all these years, under the assumption that music should be "...easy on the ear...". Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

Larry A.

No offence. It's just a taste thing. From what I've heard, your music is very consonant and sweet sounding. You do it well and there's nothing wrong with that. Its not the only way to write music though.

Nooooo....I mustn't be tempted!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Nooooo....I mustn't be tempted!

Frank
    Go ahead, Frank. Speak your mind! Tell it like it is! Go for it!

Regards,

Larry A.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast