• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It's Guess The Composer Time

Share/Bookmark

It's Guess The Composer Time

I ran across this CD a few weeks ago of pieces I never heard from this famous composer. I searched everywhere for the score for one particular piece. I finally found it(once again funny how the CD interpretation is a bit different then whats written!). There are no midi files anywhere of this work. I started the piece in GPO by just inputing the notes in sonar so its rough, however this is onlly a segment. I didnt record certain parts(the segment before the fugue and the ending) else im afraid it will give it away as to who did this. Its a segment but nearly approaches the end(the end makes a dead give away imo so im leaving it out). happy guessing, well unless you have heard this before!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/delly/GPO%20g...20composer.mp3
    Nicole Davis

Re: It's Guess The Composer Time

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    I ran across this CD a few weeks ago of pieces I never heard from this famous composer. I searched everywhere for the score for one particular piece. I finally found it(once again funny how the CD interpretation is a bit different then whats written!). There are no midi files anywhere of this work. I started the piece in GPO by just inputing the notes in sonar so its rough, however this is onlly a segment. I didnt record certain parts else im afraid it will give it away as to who did this. Its a segment but nearly approaches the end(the end makes a dead give away imo so im leaving it out). happy guessing, well unless you have heard this before!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/delly/GPO%20g...20composer.mp3
    Hi Nicole, is this piece composed for orchestra in mind or is this transscription for orchestra? I have few fellows in mind, but would like to know the answer to the question above first.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hi Nicole, is this piece composed for orchestra in mind or is this transscription for orchestra? I have few fellows in mind, but would like to know the answer to the question above first.
    No hints and only one "fellow" per guess! Sorry Falcon thats all the info im giving. "_"
    Nicole Davis

It sounds a lot like the style of the Mendelssohn string symphonies. (?)

Could it be Felix himself?

Regards,

Larry A.

OK Nicole,

I am really terrible at this kind of guessing game, but here ere are my thoughts.

For most of the way through, itÕs a rather nice straightforward fugue. The subject is pretty strong and if the orchestration you did is legit, my guess it was late classical or early romantic period. So the piece is humming along very nicely, then wow!, we hit that diminished 7th arpeggio. OK now someoneÕs having a little fun at the expense of perhaps Beethoven. If I remember Beethoven wrote a lot of counterpoint just for practice. The orchestration near the end, and the way he would sometimes hang on a diminished chord, playing around with it before resolving it, leads me to think that it could almost be him, except for that arpeggio out of the blue. Of course thatÕs the point where youÕre teasing gets cruel, and you quit. So my guess is that itÕs P. D. Q. Bach, alias Peter Schickele.

Strike up another bad guess for Karl.

hmmm...I'm going to guess Tchaikovsky. Although it somehow feels a little "early" for him, I'm going to go with that.

I might have said Felix as well, but Larry beat me to it, so I guess I'll go with Schumann.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I'm going to say Beethoven, based on 1) the brass and woodwind voicing and 2) the ending chord progression.

R.
    ==

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    hmmm...I'm going to guess Tchaikovsky. Although it somehow feels a little "early" for him, I'm going to go with that.
    You are correct Tchaikovsky Suite #1(Orchestra) Opus 43. Draging it to the
    end would have been obvious since the typical Tchaikovsky(pedal point, repeated motif over various Harmonies) takes place at the climax in such a way that only sounds Tchaikovskyish and the instruments(mainly brass) become more to the forefront. I was astonished that he wrote such a thing in the first place since he was never hesitant to state his dislike for Bach and Baroque if I remember correctly.
    Nicole Davis

I guess that will teach me to stick my nose into something that I know nothing about.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast