• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Finally some Ivory grands demo's online

Share/Bookmark

Post Finally some Ivory grands demo's online

Finally, 6 months after announcement, Synthogy has put some demo's online, although the Yamaha is still missing.

Jugding from first impression I'd say it can compete with the other big piano samples around. So the sympathetic string resonance dsp they implemented seems to be working; they don't use sustain samples. That's good news: if the dsp works, the sustain pedal works more like an effect instead of a trigger for other samples.
    They really need to put up some demo's without sustains though. Just single notes, unsustained, not too fast, not too short. I think that's the hardest thing to get to sound like the real thing.

So what do you think?

Re: Finally some Ivory grands demo's online

Overall I love the demos, but...

Quote Originally Posted by fisheye
    They really need to put up some demo's without sustains though. Just single notes, unsustained, not too fast, not too short. I think that's the hardest thing to get to sound like the real thing.
    Yes, agreed. In fact, note F4 (middle C=C4) in Traumerei (Steinway) sounds strange - there is a sudden change in timbre a split second into the note. (it's audible on the very first time the note is played). That F4 sort of stands out a bit too much too, I think. Perhaps it sounds too mellow when played louder - not enough change in timbre?

The sympathetic resonance sounds slightly synthetic to me (especially the Bosendorfer), but this could well be psychological, because I know that a DSP effect was used to create it. It certainly sounds pleasing though.

It's hard to judge all these large per-note sampled and loopless pianos without playing them. They all sound rather nice in the demos, really. (to me, anyway).

Greg.

Cool Re: Finally some Ivory grands demo's online

Hi,

i'm a bit disapointed by their Bosendorfer mp3 demos. (The Emperor sound much better)

Where is the sound ?

The Steinway D seems to be better.

Regards,

Olivier

www.audiolivepro.com

but....

after listenung and listening...

i find the sympathetic resonance good.

It's a good feature of thoses pianos.

But the sound should be more powerfull...

Regards,

Olivier

Based on these demos I was disappointed with the Bosendorfer.

These are mp3 files so I can not be sure , but I have the feeling that the recording quality is not as good as the Galaxy or the latest Post products.
    However I hope I am wrong and it's only the mp3

I'm not enchanted by the demos.

I just got the PMI Gold Bundle...WOW!

The Emperor is awesome ( I got the Giga version, ported it to Kontakt, and reprogrammed it). You can hear the wood!! Wow! And the bottom end is HUGE!!!

Old lady is very nice as well, but I keep using my Galaxy for Steinway D stuff.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I am dissapointed with these demo's also (Ivory).

However, the interface is so amazing. Well laid out for a non-techie like myself. I wish all piano interfaces looked this user friendly.

I am hoping some better demo's of Ivory will come along.

man! those demos sounded like hell! What was that? A Xylophone or something? Just awful!!!!

NOT!

sounded good here.

Some of the Steinway notes (especially that F4 which seems to have drawn my attention) do sound a bit like a simple oscillator, just like one of those old top-octave divider electronic "pianos" from 20 years ago ;^) The interesting thing is, I used to notice a bit of that kind of sound on my Kurzweil P1000 (world renowned at the time - we're talking about 15 years ago I think). The salesman said to me that's exactly how a Steinway sounds, and offered to take me next door, where the real Steinways were, and prove it to me. I simply couldn't believe it, and didn't go through with the demonstration. ;^) I now cringe every time I hear the Kurzweil 1000 sound, anywhere, because I'm so familiar with it.
    It's amazing how often it's still used. But this is getting off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    man! those demos sounded like hell! What was that? A Xylophone or something? Just awful!!!!

NOT!

sounded good here.

Go Back to forum