• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you protect your configuration from harddisk failures?

Share/Bookmark

How do you protect your configuration from harddisk failures?

I have around 90 GBs of samples on my 2nd harddisk, plus sonar and some plugins on my boot disk. Im always afraid that if my harddisks fail I have no idea how Ill get my configuration back again, or load all those sample CDs back on disk again.

Do you guys worry about the same thing, and what precautions do you take? I do have the original sample CDs and programs, its the thought of installing and reauthorising them that gives me nigthmares.

Re: How do you protect your configuration from harddisk failures?

I think the best way is a cheap Firewire hard drive - like $100 bucks for 120GB - duplicate your samples drive and keep the drive somewhere OUT of your studio - just in case.... You can use Retrospect to duplicate folders and keep them up to date on a Firewire drive, even if the drive's on a Mac and your samples are on a PC.

Jeff

Re: How do you protect your configuration from harddisk failures?

I just bought Norton Ghost for precisely this issue. Fry's had a deal recently where there was a $50 rebate on the $70 retail package. It'll ghost to HD, CD, over a network, whatever, and it'll create bootable floppies or CDs for your systems as well.

Go Back to forum