• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another Lost Beethoven “Challenge”

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Another Lost Beethoven “Challenge”

The “unheardbeethoven.org” web site is a little treasure chest of wonders. After Gary’s kind remarks on the “Erlkoenig” overture, I went back there to see what else might be mined and bring “unheard” Beethoven to a fuller orchestral realization. (Apparently the site has thus far done General MIDI realizations of the works – someone please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Anyway, I did some minor surgery on the MIDI file for “Twelve Minuets for Orchestra” (WoO 12) which is either by Ludwig or Carl Beethoven (his brother). The mystery is that either Ludwig grabbed them from Carl or that they were Carl passing himself off as Ludwig – shades of “Amadeus”!

The orchestra is strings (in four sections), flutes, oboes, clarinet(s), bassoons, french horns, trumpets, timpani (and an occasional harp and occasional unspecified drums). Credit should be given to the MIDI author (listed on the website as “Midi Author: Willem“).

I’m previewing only Minuet #11 from the set here: http://www.kevintweedy.net/Preview/Experiments.htm

This time, I have not used any GOS/Lite strings and used only GPO instruments, which are:

Vlns 1 Sus+Short, Vlns 2 Sus+Short, Cellos Sus+Short, Basses Sus+Short, Violas Pizzicato, Vlns1 Pizzicato, Flute Ens2, Oboe Modern Ens3, Bb Clarinet solo, Basson 1 Ens3, French Horn 2 Ens2, Tpt 2 Ens2, Chromatic Harp 1 and Timpani EX. I used a small amount of an “impulse” that Gary supplied me to experiment with called “Concert Hall 1” (running through the shareware SIR VST).

Happy listening to “lost” Beethoven!

KevinKauai

P.S. For more information on “The Unheard Beethoven” see: http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/about/
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 07-21-2004 at 05:35 PM. Reason: (woke up and hated it!)

Thumbs down Re: Another Lost Beethoven “Challenge”

I'm withdrawing this one! On listening to it this morning, all the strings sound WRONG and the clarinet articulation ends up sounding like a bad accordion. (I'm really more into creating my own original MIDI files and controlling all of the horizontal and vertical for each note, rather than starting with the MIDI file that someone else has done for General MIDI.) I have re-checked the voices used and concluded that the changes needed to work with the articulation and notes as provided in the MIDI file would be a slavish job that I have little interest in doing.

The Twelve Minuets are really lovely little pieces and charming as a group. I comment their treatment to others who like to dabble in MIDI files.

Consider this a bit of artistic self-censorship!

KevinKauai

Re: Another Lost Beethoven “Challenge”

Submitted for your approval the departure of One KevinKauai midi file gone amiss. What Kevin doesn't realize is that he is about to go on the midi file withdrawal trip of his life in...the Twilight Zone.
    DA DAAAAA dadadadadadummmmm.
    Styxx

Re: Another Lost Beethoven “Challenge”

The Twelve Minuets WoO 12 are indeed an interesting set; whoever wrote them was not a hack because they have a charm and significant sophistication in the orchestration. I've done up a version of No. 1 myself that I'm pretty pleased with but am certainly interested in hearing more.

Go Back to forum