• Register
  • Help

Topic: Prokofiev

Share/Bookmark

Prokofiev

Sorry its down.
    Nicole Davis

Re: Done messing with this and if he were alive I would strangle him:)

[QUOTE=Nicole] I hope this is good enough for now.

It IS good enough - for now and as long as you want. If you reach the limits of a tool, it makes no sense to stay there - go on and explore the strengths. Maybe if you come back another time, you will find a way around.
    fmfgs

I concur. fmfgs is right. However, I can see your point Nicole...I can see your point.
    Styxx

Nicole,

YouÕre talking about something that took me almost a lifetime to learn. My Dad used to try and tell me to stop before it eats you alive, but I never listened to him when I was young. It has only been recently that IÕm really enjoying playing and writing again. It took being away from it for almost 30 years before I got some sense. It is so great that you are learning this at the tender age of 34.

By the way, I can almost smell the oranges. It's just great the way it is. Leave it alone and go play with your daughter.

Karl

You should be glad you don't have a Mac. I could never get all that going in midi at once without freezing tracks. You lucky PC lady. Would be pulling my hair out, and that would be ashamed since there isn't too much left to pull.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    You should be glad you don't have a Mac. I could never get all that going in midi at once without freezing tracks. You lucky PC lady. Would be pulling my hair out, and that would be ashamed since there isn't too much left to pull.

Karl
    Very Well done Nicole. This type of music is something I'm not really very good at writing or rendering. Do you do this from a written score sheet? Just wondering. Great job anyway.

Eric W

Re: Prokofiev

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    ..Mr Prokofiev decided everything should be going at once in alot of places(never try to do this with the harp going at the same time, lotsof audio drop out)
    Nicole,

Instead of muting the harp and recording separately, you might try instead reducing the polyphony of the harp (if you haven't already). A lot of the harp note over-ring won't be missed all that much in a thick texture. Instead of the default of 64 voices, you could try 32, 16, or 8 voices. I wouldn't go lower than 8 voices because any two-handed harp chords would be rendered incomplete.

Re: Prokofiev

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Nicole,

Instead of muting the harp and recording separately, you might try instead reducing the polyphony of the harp (if you haven't already). A lot of the harp note over-ring won't be missed all that much in a thick texture. Instead of the default of 64 voices, you could try 32, 16, or 8 voices. I wouldn't go lower than 8 voices because any two-handed harp chords would be rendered incomplete.
    I ran into this with the Wagner piece I mocked-up recently. I ended up setting the harp to 16 voices and the timpani to 8, anything less and the voice-stealing became noticeable. I still rendered each section of the orchestra separately and the harp and timps each separately as well, because I had switched over to just having my PowerBook after starting the project with my PC as the sound source... the PowerBook would choke on anything more than about 16 instruments at one time.

Brian

Is bouncing tracks not a good idea ? That way you can have full polyphony for every instrument.

Bouncing Example:
    Record strings and timpani on Chan 1
    Record Woodwinds on chan 2
    Record brass on chan 3
    Record harp and percussions on chan 4

Etc.

Mix them all together at the end

At the end you have all the voices playing perfectly , the only problem i've heard about this method is noise adding up , but if you don't have any noisy inputs enabled i don't think it will be any problem .
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Great work! I'm a big Prokofiev fan, so I very much enjoyed.

I have a few minor suggestions, mostly just interpretive opinions, so do with them what you wish.

First off, it feels a little fast to me, especially the ending. though I'm sure everyone is used to different renditions.

The staccato notes (especially the trumpet intro) might come across cleaner if they are shortened more. The trumpet intro should also be a little stronger.

The big brass chord at about 0:49 seems to end too abruptly. I would taper the mod wheel right at the end of the notes to make it more realistic. Brass in general is very good here.

The final tutti chords need stronger attacks, as they sound slightly mushy. You might also want to begin the first of the series a bit softer (mod wheel, not velocity) to get more of a crescendo through these.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum