• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question regarding Studio monitors (speakers)

Share/Bookmark

Question Question regarding Studio monitors (speakers)

I've been using the same old computer desk speakers for few years now, and after making more of a jump into making multimedia sounds and music I was looking to buying some actual studio monitors. Possibly Mackie 824's. question is I notice many composers run extra sound equipment with their systems and I wanted to know Would I be able to just run 2-4 speakers on a Echo Mia Midi sound card, or do I need extra power from a reciever or amp? What other type of hidden costs am I looking at? One final question is if I have 1/4 inch jacks on the sound card what would be the best cable to use with the card?

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Lightbulb Re: Question regarding Studio monitors (speakers)

Quote Originally Posted by §eth
    I've been using the same old computer desk speakers for few years now, and after making more of a jump into making multimedia sounds and music I was looking to buying some actual studio monitors. Possibly Mackie 824's. question is I notice many composers run extra sound equipment with their systems and I wanted to know Would I be able to just run 2-4 speakers on a Echo Mia Midi sound card, or do I need extra power from a reciever or amp? What other type of hidden costs am I looking at? One final question is if I have 1/4 inch jacks on the sound card what would be the best cable to use with the card?

Seth

I just bought a pair of Behringer Truth's B2031A (€360 for a pair). These are active monitors, so you can just hook 'em up to your soundcards Out 1 & 2 (or your mixers control room out).
    If you choose active monitors, the amp sits inside the monitor.
    If you choose passive monitors, you will need an amplifier to connect the speakers to.

I A-B tested these monitors with Mackie's 824's. Ok, the Mackies are superb, but when I listened to the Behringers, it was very hard to tell the difference! The Behringers sound sooooo good , especially if you look at the price difference between them!
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the Mackies, but at least listen to the Behringers first before you spend almost a grand on the Mackies.

You can connect the Behringers with the use of an 1/4" TS Jack (unbalanced) or 1/4" TRS Jack (balanced). If your soundcards outputs are unbalanced, use unbalanced cables. If your soundcards outputs are balanced, use balanced cables for the minimum of noise.

I would recommend reading "The Guide" at www.tweakheadz.com.
    It's a great piece of literature explaning everything you want to know about studio recording. I found a LOT of answers here!

Hope this helps!

Greetings,

therealsahel

Go Back to forum