• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hooray - no interpolation noise!!!

Share/Bookmark

Hooray - no interpolation noise!!!

I'm just trying the demo version of Kontakt for the first time. One of my complaints about Gigasampler/Gigastudio, has been what I felt was audible interpolation noise. Not a *single* other person ever agreed with me that it was audible, which I have to this day found very strange. I maintain that it's there, and I don't like it. (IMHO ;^)

Kontakt doesn't have the problem. Kontakt is, to my ears, pristine with it's sample transposition. Absolutely wonderful.

Just the mere absence of audible artificats doesn't mean that Kontakt is *overall* superior - I realise that I'm just giving my subjective opinion at the moment. But, when I play what is probably a fairly demanding instrument on interpolation (my home brew CP80 electric grand), all I can say is that I prefer playing it on Kontakt. By a long shot. The superior fidelity just makes it so much more enjoyable.

Greg. (*not* affiliated with Native Instruments)

Re: Hooray - no interpolation noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    Just the mere absence of audible artificats doesn't mean that Kontakt is *overall* superior - I realise that I'm just giving my subjective opinion at the moment.
    I didn't express myself very clearly here. What I mean is that a proper evaluation of the interpolation should be done objectively as well as subjectively. For example, if Kontakt is indeed introducing less artifacts,
    it may have other problems - it may not have as good a frequency response, so that should be measured, along with other things. All I'm saying at the moment is that it sounds better to me than Gigastudio, for what it's worth.

There *may* be some strange problem with my setup (or my hearing!) that's causing me to hear what I perceive to be interpolation noise in Gigastudio but I really think that I'd be hearing problems in other sound sources as well - I don't seem to.

Greg.

The fidelity is great, but the envelopes don't sound right for the GIGs I've tried so far. (but this is getting off topic of this thread) The demo version of Kontakt I'm using appears to be for an older version, in any case. It's great that there is any kind of demo available actually.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    The fidelity is great, but the envelopes don't sound right for the GIGs I've tried so far. (but this is getting off topic of this thread) The demo version of Kontakt I'm using appears to be for an older version, in any case. It's great that there is any kind of demo available actually.

Greg.
    Greg...Kontakt 1.53 does a better (but not perfect) job of importing .gig files. And yes, i noticed a fidelity improvement too but i didnt want to say anything..:-))

Ok, thanks Rich. It'd be nice if you let Tascam know that you can notice the difference, if you haven't already. Maybe it's already been improved in GS3 - fingers crossed.

I actually tested Gigasampler's interpolation before I bought it, and thought it was excellent. The problem is, I didn't test it thoroughly enough. All I did was create a very simple sine wave instrument, and then listen to it as I played it across the keyboard. I was amazed at how clean it sounded. A similar test done on an Akai (S2000, I think) sampler brought it to it's knees. (IMHO).
    I also tested Seer System's "Reality" soft synth and found it's tranposition wanting as well. I think Gigasampler's interpolation method *may* be different to most synths, and it just seems to me that it needed a different kind of test to bring out the problem. It honestly didn't take me long to hear the noise when I played a real giga-instrument which didn't have any filtering and which didn't feature per-note sampling.

Of course, the other problem was that I desperately wanted to like Gigasampler, and probably didn't *want* to find any problems, deep down. ;^) (and I still *do* like it)

Um. Back to Kontakt.

Greg.

Go Back to forum