• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga Studio : Polyphony ( mainly )

Share/Bookmark

Question Giga Studio : Polyphony ( mainly )

Hello everyone in here , i am very glad to finally be a registered member ( After a couple of hours trying to find a "Spam-free" e-mail service.
    This is both my "hello world" and my "first newbie question" thread
    ----------------

Lately i am seriously considering of buying a Giga Studio setup since the soundfonts i have been using for the last years have no more "colors" to offer me.

I was wondering :

1 ) How many notes of polyphony have you achieved or heard about someone else achieving with Giga Studio ?
    2 ) Could you list me some all-around Giga Libraries ? Only the acronyms or even full name - if possible . I will Google them after and do my homework - demo hunting
    3 ) To achieve around 300 notes of poly , what CPU do you reckon i will need ?
    4 ) A couple of Giga Soundcard suggestions from happy users ?
    5 ) Can you render a Giga Midi track to .wav with perfect timing-sync/ reverb/effects etc ( to free polyphony ) , or do you have to record it in other software ?

And.... just in case anybody cares, here is a link with the stuff i have made using freeware soundfonts and a Roland Jv-1080 . ( hehehe, and the obvious reason why i want to upgrade )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/jo...fsolsmusic.htm

That will be all for the moment ( Damn newbies ) ; Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Giga Studio : Polyphony ( mainly )

Okay here goes.

1 ) GigaStudio 2/2.5 is limited to the number of "voices" specified in the number (e.g "GigaStudio 160" can do 160 voices on the computer it's installed on.) Keep in mind that these are mono "voices". So you have 80 stereo voices. Now also keep in mind that some instruments let you control fading between 2 or 3 stereo samples at a time. If you are only using those kind of samples (an unlikely situation in my experience) then you get down to 40 or 20 notes. I'd say that 80 notes is a much more accurate estimate of where you end up.

If/when GigaStudio 3 comes out, it will remove this limit so you will be able to get as many voices as your CPU can muster. This means well over 200 on most systems and several conservative systems were placed above 300 (less than 3GHz processor for such a system). If you look around the forum you can find more detailed and accurate numbers but this is just to give you an impression. In other words, you could very well be looking at doubling the limit of GS 2.5 160 on each computer or even more.

2 ) If by all around you mean "all around orchestral", then good libraries to look into include the soon to be released Kirk Hunter Strings Brass and Woodwinds (as I said, soon to be released so I'm basing this off of limited demo.gig and mp3s) or the offerings from Vienna Sound Library. If you are set on using GigaStudio, as opposed to a great plug-in library like Garritan Personal Orchestra or East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, then the only currently avaible offering that is worth your consideration for a complete orchestra is from VSL. Don't get Advanced Orchestra, it's become a dated library. If you can wait for GS 3 to come out, it has 4GB of VSL samples included to get you started and you can get Opus 1 if you want the next step. Then if you really want to start shelling out dough you can spend somewhere between $5000-6000 dollars on the complete VSL orchestral library if you are really motivated.

In terms of specific instruments to check out:

Garritan Orchestral Strings
    Project SAM Horns
    Project SAM Trumpets
    Project SAM Solo Sessions
    Project SAM Trombones
    Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass
    Sonic Implants Symphonic String Ensembles
    Quantum Leap Voices of the Apocalypse
    Quantum Leap Rare Instruments
    Ethno World 2 (1 has good instruments too but is considered to be poorly programmed by many)
    ALL VSL Horizon Series products (like Glass and Stones or Concert Guitar or VSL Solo Strings)
    Any particular section of the Kirk Hunter SBW
    Notre Dame of the Budapest Pipe Organ
    Peter Ewer's Symphonic Organ 1 & 2

ALSO consider the following Akai 1000 libraries that can be imported into Giga

Spectrasonics SOV
    Hans Zimmer Guitars Vol. 1 & 2

And more experimental and older but very neat Akai libraries...

Spectrasonics Bizzare Guitar
    Spectrasonics Distorted Reality Vol. 1 & 2

Those are most of them off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I think of anymore later.

3) See my answer to #1.

4 )I love my Audiophile 2496s, they are the best souncards to run GigaStudio on if you want to buy for the lowest possible price ($99 last time I checked Audiomidi.com) without making any sacrifices and you don't need lots of outputs and inputs. I use them on 3 systems. However, if you needs lots of digital I/O, I reccomend the RME Hammerfall (there's another name for it that escapes me at the moment) but I don't have personal experience with it yet.

Hope that all helps and good luck!

Thumbs up Re: Giga Studio : Polyphony ( mainly )

Hey Per Lichtman , thank you very much for your fast reply .

I have been searching around in circles and could not find the polyphony limits of Giga Studio . My main concern is that i am used to overloading my sequencers outputs ( often using 46 midi channels in some songs from 3 different 16 chan outputs ) and i am afraid that Giga Studio will limit my creativity instead of boosting it more . Hearing the "Cut notes" polyphony syndrome makes my heart lose a beat every time

Soundcard : Again you have been very helpful and i will do some extra search on that since there are one or more options spinning in my head for that ( like the Aaardvark - Direct Pro Q10 Audio )

Libraries : Lots of work here , hehehe , gotta start searching now .

Thank you very much for the big and full reply : know i appreciate it .

Have a nice day Lichtman

Theo

Hey, Peter,
    I've asked this before but haven't quite gotten a specific answer.
    Most of the members here seem to be into Orchestral work but, what I'm looking for, is a set of Trumpets/Trombones/Saxophones that will work well with Funk/R&B/Calypso.

I'm hoping that you, or someone has done at least some Funk/R&B work and can recommend some horns from personal experience.

Thanx.
    :-)

You may want to check out some of the smaller libraries such as Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) or QLSO Silver or even QLSO Gold. These libraries include there own player so you don't need to purchase GigaStudio. On a P4-2.4 GHz machine I'm able to get 200 stereo voices of polyphony. It is recommended to have at least 1 GB of memory with 2 GB being preferable. These libraries will get you off the ground faster with high polyphony amounts on one computer and sound much better than soundfonts.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman

If/when GigaStudio 3 comes out, it will remove this limit so you will be able to get as many voices as your CPU can muster. This means well over 200 on most systems and several conservative systems were placed above 300 (less than 3GHz processor for such a system).
    How much influence, exactly, does processor power have on polyphony for GS3? For example, I have 2 gigs of mem but only 1.8GHz processor: what improvement would I see going to 3GHz?

JG

With GigaStudio 3 you should be able to take advantage of all the CPU power you can get. Other than that I'm not willing to commit to any particular numbers because I've been hearing a lot of different ones floating around. Long story short: CPU speed makes a very big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    Hey, Peter,
    I've asked this before but haven't quite gotten a specific answer.
    Most of the members here seem to be into Orchestral work but, what I'm looking for, is a set of Trumpets/Trombones/Saxophones that will work well with Funk/R&B/Calypso.
    The only library I've been hearing good things about in this area, or even many demos in the genres, would be Quantum Leap Brass. It's getting to be an older library but Nick Phoenix has been one of the best sample library designers in the industry for many years now. I'd take a listen and find more info. about it here on the forums but that's really the only one I could reccomend to you right now since I don't do much work in those genres.

Go Back to forum