• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL 1st edition Performance set

Share/Bookmark

VSL 1st edition Performance set

I have the 1st edition cube and it's great so far. I just got the Performance set but have not opened it... I have read a lot of posts about it here, spoke to ilio, read their website info as well as vsl.co.at's:

does the performance set/tools involve a lot of tweeking? does it get in the way of composing because it's too involved?

is it night and day compared to the cube set alone or should I return the unopened box and fortify my cube set with another library from vsl or other dealer?

what is the story with giga studio 3 and its new midi handling? I read a post that it would make the performance set less worth the investment...

thanks in advance for any help.

Acoustech
    My Gear:
    Sonica P3 w/ 2 gigs ramm, 300+gigs 7200rpm raid, giga 160, RME Hammerfall HDSP 96, VSL Orch. Cube, NI complete 2 AU, dual 800 G4, os 10.2.8, dp 4.12au, motu M5 1.08, waves platinum 4.3x, uad 3.5.1 Spectrasonics Stylus & Atmosphere (AU versions) 1.25 gigs ram, miromotion dc30+ vid capture crd, motu pci 424 G5 card, midi exprss xt

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: VSL 1st edition Performance set

Open the box. It's great. Giga 3 will not reduce its value.

That's odd...I thought I read that GS3 would have some sort of built in feature that would make the performance utility unneccessary, which sounded like an improvement, not a bad thing. At this rate, I guess we'll have to wait until July 2025 when GS3 is actually released to find out.
    -Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by acoustech
    I read a post that it would make the performance set less worth the investment...

Acoustech

The prerequisite of the performance tool is the actual samples in the performance set. So, even if GS 3.0 have new MIDI rules, to utilize (some of them) would, as I understand it, require new samplesets as well.

I have the 1st edition, and while the orchestral cube is the basis of usage, the performance set gives you the additional "reality feeling" options. You'd spend a few hours learning how to utilize it, but not more than you'd spend learning the cube.

Of course, it's always a quesiton of priorities if you don't have an unlimited budget (as most of us do... ), and the only one that can prioritize your requirements is you. I know how hard that can be when you want it all... :-)

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

andyt

There is a detailed post about this on vsl's forum.

There was an early post to suggest that the new midi rules engine would be able to work with the performance samples, but Dave Govett and Christian from VSL are saying the new performance tools in GS3 will NOT replace the performance tool. Why ? To quote from the VSL site ....

[QUOTE]
    "Although the built in tools will be very handy the VSL tool won't be obselete for several reasons.

Other formats of course will still need the tool unless they build something similar in their engines.

One of the tools (Repetition tool) will be in a later update (3.x?)

The Legato mode will require some configuration from VSL. (which I will gladly help them with) The current VSL instruments won't work with it though. We took advantage of the extra dimensions in 3.0 to rework the layout to not have to use the extreme ends of the keyboard and it can handle up to 4 layers or velocity splits of legato instruments.

The pattern alternator is pretty easy to setup by starting with key-switch instruments and converting them to a new dimension called "intelligent MIDI" and setting up the tool.

Also, the VSL tool has some new tweaks as well. Its version while the tools in Giga 3.0 are more like the version 1 tool.

Cheers
    Dave"

I'm pretty sure, that there will be downloadable Giga *.art files on VSL site, which will adopt current VSL (GS2.5) to GS3, making performance tools obsolete.

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Max Head
    I'm pretty sure, that there will be downloadable Giga *.art files on VSL site, which will adopt current VSL (GS2.5) to GS3, making performance tools obsolete.
    I'm not so sure. Christian and Dave, who can be considered as insiders at both Tascam and VSL say it won't be obsolete.

Reading CM's reply (above), the giga rules engine has been written so that it can't reproduce the legato mapping for the VSL samples. Dave Govett (who is writting the GS3 manual, and moderates on VSL forum) says the VSL samples will have to be totally re-configured to make use of the midi engine. CM implies this is a major undertaking.

VSL might also not want to make it obsolete .....

Quote Originally Posted by Allmoge
    The prerequisite of the performance tool is the actual samples in the performance set. So, even if GS 3.0 have new MIDI rules, to utilize (some of them) would, as I understand it, require new samplesets as well.
    that's a very good point!

I think I'll have to open it!

thanks guys, much appreciated

acoustech
    My Gear:
    Sonica P3 w/ 2 gigs ramm, 300+gigs 7200rpm raid, giga 160, RME Hammerfall HDSP 96, VSL Orch. Cube, NI complete 2 AU, dual 800 G4, os 10.2.8, dp 4.12au, motu M5 1.08, waves platinum 4.3x, uad 3.5.1 Spectrasonics Stylus & Atmosphere (AU versions) 1.25 gigs ram, miromotion dc30+ vid capture crd, motu pci 424 G5 card, midi exprss xt

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    VSL might also not want to make it obsolete .....
    That is what first came to my mind, when i've read (several times) those topics on VSL site. They don't say YES they don't say NO. So, there are a lot between strokes.
    I don't remember exactly Dave or CM said that GS3 tools are more like Performance tools v.1. So, they somehow compare GS and VSL tools. As you mentioned, Repetition tool will be in GS3.x update. So, we can expect evolution of other GS tools with forthcoming updates and may be with GS3.6 Tascam will come up or even overrun VSL tools v.2 level.
    And one more, industry goes to simplification for user (userfriendly). Why to have two tools, when one can handle everything.

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Max Head
    That is what first came to my mind, when i've read (several times) those topics on VSL site. They don't say YES they don't say NO. So, there are a lot between strokes.

...... Why to have two tools, when one can handle everything.
    Yes, I agree with you on both accounts. It is very unclear to me why Tascam don't try to mimick the Performance Tool at the current version. Maybe they arer not allowed to .. or have been pursuaded not to.

BTW, my user name on VSL is "drewbuchan", if you happen to read the original thread.

Go Back to forum