• Register
  • Help

Topic: slightly OT... how i mic a flute?

Share/Bookmark

slightly OT... how i mic a flute?

probably is slighy OT; but maybe some guru can help me!

i'm working on a song in which i'd like to play live my flute, instead of using samples... even if my flute skills are not so good (it' several years i don't touch it!).
    what is the best way to mic it with a single condenser mic?

Re: slightly OT... how i mic a flute?

There are several ways to obtain good results but experimenting with placement of the mic or mics will give you different results. It's what sounds best to you in your given environment (an ambient "live" room or a dead room) that also can effect the results and ultimately dictate what satisfies your ear. There are quite a few well-qualified people that can give you excellent advice on this forum.
    Here is one of the ways I have found to give me good results.
    Place the condenser halfway between the mouthpiece and the tone holes 6 to 12 inches away. In addition, I may wish to catch some of the room reverb or ambience by placing another mic on a boom stand five feet above the instrument. This is a technique I borrowed from micing tympanis in concert as well as in the studio during a session years ago.
    Experiment and have fun.
    Hope I've given you a starting place at least. Good luck.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx

In addition, I may wish to catch some of the room reverb or ambience by placing another mic on a boom stand five feet above the instrument. This is a technique I borrowed from micing tympanis in concert as well as in the studio during a session years ago.
    thanks for the suggestions.
    regarding the "ambient", i will record in my bed-room which has also some ambient noise (from the nighbouging street and from the PC itself), and, most important, i have only one mic! :-)

Bosone,

Position the mic so it is convenient to move around it. Then start recording a track. Speak and describe your current position and record a phrase. Then move to another position and do the same thing. Listen to all the takes, and pick the one that sounds best to you.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

The best way to begin is sapphire, two olives, whisper of vermouth, slightly dirty...

Funny you mention bedroom recording... On the other side of my bedroom wall is a major city street, complete with roaring semi traffic, a fire station just down the block with frequent emergencies, and the occaisional plane flying over head. The last time I did this some of my takes were unusable, not because of the street noise, but because my crazy cat was yowling on the other side of the door wanting to be fed. When I can, I will use a room at work. There is an excellent dead room, and I can get a really clean recording.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    The best way to begin is sapphire, two olives, whisper of vermouth, slightly dirty...
    Shaken, not stirred.
    Styxx

100% agreed.

Go Back to forum