• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The GS Upgrade... why?

Share/Bookmark

Smile The GS Upgrade... why?

Hi,

I don't mean to put a damper on the excitement surrounding GS3, but what is it offering that current 24-bit sample players don't have already (besides unlimited polyphony in the high-end version)?

I used to run GS2.5 exclusively (w/Sonar) but once the Kontakt translation improved and the lack of a good eq & reverb within GS got to me, I migrated all of my GS sample sets over and haven't looked back. I know the GS3 Rewire support is good but it doesn't seem that much different from Kontakt's ability to route samples to individual tracks and faders (alongside dx-plugins and audio) in Sonar. Plus Sonar's VST adaptation works fine for me.

Feel free to sell me on this. I really like GS2 but probably like Kontakt a bit more right now...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: The GS Upgrade... why?

1) Many instrument design methods which will yield some amazing tools from soundware developers.

2) The aforementioned great disk/polyphony performance--best of class.

3) GigaPulse processing in realtime, which definitely affects the way you play.

4) VST hosting, with VSTi hosting presumably following later

5) Direct processing of mic/audio input with no perceivable latency, i.e., use Giga as a live performance tool including all your mic fx, amp models, etc.

6) QuickSound and multiple Distributed Wave instruments for fast auditioning and sound design/cue spotting uses.

7) Scalability options from single machine uses to multi-rack installations.

8) Increased robustness when using multiple machines to remove the processing load from the DAW machine.

Those are my general reasons. I find that it's very "right" for the way I work.

GigaPiano 2, some VSL samples, and more. It's only fifty bucks to do it if you bought it after January 1st 2004. Uhm, and well, why not?

Reason for upgrading for me will be polyphony -- being able to get more out of each machine (have more loaded for better real-time composition). GigaPulse could be huge -- we'll see how it stacks up against Altiverb and the IR1. The peripheral additions are nice as well, keeping the wanderlust at bay. I must say though, whether version 2.5 or 3, GigaStudio represents one of the most stable, useful and transparent pieces of software I own. It just works!

I prefer to use separate Pc«s for samplers. with Giga 2.5 you can use 64 channels. with kontakt you can only use 16 channels...

Well thanks... I guess it just depends on the level of need as there are some very interesting features that I wouldn't have even considered significant to my setup. I tend to compose using less than 10 sample sets and my polyphony count maybe hits 200 at best. In other words, I'm one of these "just play the darn sample" and I'll augment it in Sonar kinda guys! I'm glad Tascam is offering features that will satisfy the GS aficionados! Seems like a suitable upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by jose elith
    I prefer to use separate Pc«s for samplers. with Giga 2.5 you can use 64 channels. with kontakt you can only use 16 channels...
    Maybe you can have Kontakt more that once and have more channels.

Question Re: The GS Upgrade... why?

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    Maybe you can have Kontakt more that once and have more channels.
    I think you can... though it significantly effects your CPU. I usually seperate drums/percussion from my piano, string, and choral samples. I do this by opening up another instance of Kontakt. Never paid attention to the channel count though... maybe it's unlimited?

Jon

Will it be possible to load more samples with GS3 than with 2.5 (2Gb installed...with registry tweak)?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriels
    Will it be possible to load more samples with GS3 than with 2.5 (2Gb installed...with registry tweak)?

How many samples can you load in GS 2.5 ?

Go Back to forum