• Register
  • Help

Topic: Heartland

Share/Bookmark

Heartland

Finally got some web space to use for posting. Here's Heartland. Thanks to Gary & Jerry W. for some helpful comments they gave me.

http://home.mchsi.com/~jeffturner/heartland.mp3

Jeff

Re: Heartland

The composition is great. The only thing I'd say is that the strings stand out in the mix more than they should in places (read, they aren't as warm as I'd like, but that's a personal opinion.) The winds sound great in your hands and I like the crescendo near the end.

Joseph,

Thanks for your comments. The strings also seemed a little harsh to me. I'm new at this engineering aspect of this process, how do I add "warmth" to the strings. I used the sus/short section samples. Would "lush" strings have more warmth? Or a combination of both? Or is it all done in EQ? Should certain frequencies be raised or lowered to add warmth? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jeff

QUOTE=Jeff Turner]Joseph,

Thanks for your comments. The strings also seemed a little harsh to me. I'm new at this engineering aspect of this process, how do I add "warmth" to the strings. I used the sus/short section samples. Would "lush" strings have more warmth? Or a combination of both? Or is it all done in EQ? Should certain frequencies be raised or lowered to add warmth? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jeff[/QUOTE]
    Hi jeff. I liked this work

There are alot of different opinions on the issue of the strings. I found that I like to stay completely clear of EQ. Im a new person to the sample world as well but I have found a pattern that im used to now (atleast with GPO I dont know about the other stuff) and its becoming easier to do things. Some insist on EQ, normalize, ect ect. But, I find I get better results(least in my opinion) staying away from EQ and other things suggested. You can go many routes I think without having to touch that stuff. Like doubling each section with a solo and moving the time and modulation wheel data drawings around so its not exact or build each section solo by solo instrument The later is my favorite, but its a big job hehe. I remember doing the first minute of Ralph Vaughan Williams with solo instruments, took an enormous amount of time to control all those solo instruments so it had a balance, but it was well worth the effort since the weaving of volume, timing, and such creates the most "realistic" sounding lines imo.

Thanks for sharing.
    Nicole Davis

You may need to increase the volume of the violins while keeping the modwheel in a lower dynamic setting to reduce vibrato. Also, you may also want to try different reverb settings as well since they all apply a certain amount of EQ in the processing of the reverb anyway. EQ will help, but for me it's kind of hit and miss. If you look at EQ, I'd imagine you'd lower the gain on the high ends and boost the mids and lows to get a warmer sound. The Lush patch does have a warmer sound, but it isn't as snappy as the sustains and short patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Finally got some web space to use for posting. Here's Heartland. Thanks to Gary & Jerry W. for some helpful comments they gave me.

http://home.mchsi.com/~jeffturner/heartland.mp3

Jeff
    Is it gone?

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Is it gone?

Hannes
    Seems to be, Hannes.

I could not reach the link, either.