• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Time Post, please review

Share/Bookmark

First Time Post, please review

Hey everyone, I just got GPO and am loving it. Here is one of the first orchestrations I've done and would enjoy any feedback.

http://www.truedungeon.com/soundtrack/song2.mp3

Thanks

Tom

Re: First Time Post, please review

Tom,

Quite an ambitious debut. Looking forward to hearing more.

Jeff

Thumbs up Re: First Time Post, please review

Tom,
    Great piece! So, what movie can we expect this in? GPO is certainly a great tool isn't it? As you may already know I am not one for giving "technical" advice. The only thing (and this is just the percussionist in me) I would taper back the use of the crash cymbal a bit. I realize most of us think of them as accentual instruments but they are really meant to "highlight". Again, that's just me. As a whole …. Very nice!
    Styxx

Yes, Very nice Tom!

I agree with Styxx. I think the crash cymbal loses its dynamic effect if used too much. Also, just for a fun exercise, that last 13 seconds (With the arp and clarinet) can be developed into an entierly new piece! Motivic developement is everything. There are a few places where nothing seems to develope (IMHO). Overall though, the "atmoshere" surrounding this piece is very well done. Definite film stuff. Well Done!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thanks for the encouraging words. This music is for a live event run in Indiapolis called True Dungeon. http://www.truedungeon.com. It's kind of an interactive walkthrough movie and the music will play during the event.

One question...I am using Overture to write all the music (seeing as I don't have a keyboard with a mod wheel) and was wondering if there was a way to adjust volume. Right now I port the midi to cubase and do volume control there, but it would be so much easier to have it all in overture.

Anybody else use Overture?

OOO That looks cool! Being an RPG buff myself, I can say that I think that your piece will fit realy well!

Brian
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

You have to use the dynamic expressions in Overture and make sure that you change how they act in order for them to send the data to the mod wheel instead of volume. So if you want the volume envelope of the violin to crescendo you need to put down the 'cresc' dynamic in Overture, click on it to bring up the options box for that dynamic and change the output of it to the mod wheel controller. Do the same thing for decresc., fff expressions, etc.

You don't have to make any changes for the dynamic expressions to work with the mod wheel in GPO Studio using Overture.

Overture is smart enough to know you are using GPO, and do the right thing!

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Tom,

I really like this piece! Very well done.

If you want more control over the dynamics in Overture, first make sure they are enabled. Just do a "Select All" and then click the edit menu and "Enable Playback". The dynamic markings will automatically work properly with GPO studio. If you want more control than that, use the graphics window. You can draw modwheel data and control volume very easily there.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mschiff
    Tom,

I really like this piece! Very well done.

If you want more control over the dynamics in Overture, first make sure they are enabled. Just do a "Select All" and then click the edit menu and "Enable Playback". The dynamic markings will automatically work properly with GPO studio. If you want more control than that, use the graphics window. You can draw modwheel data and control volume very easily there.

-- Martin
    Thanks, that's what I was missing. I was putting in the notation, but it wasn't playing. Have to enable it. I knew it would be something dumb like that! Ha!

Thanks for the comment

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast