• Register
  • Help

Topic: Black Grand Ambient Demo Available

Share/Bookmark

Black Grand Ambient Demo Available

You can now download the demo version for the Ambient perspective of the Black Grand for HALion 2 and Kontakt. (Both Kontakt .nki and HALion .fxp files included)
    Make sure that you are running the latest versions of Kontakt and HALion 2.
    In HALion, set the "preload into buffer" to 0.75 seconds for best result.

Read the included "ReadMe" file for further info!

IT has two complete octaves plus all the C's.
    The files are devided into 50Mb chunks and are packed with WinRar. Mac users can use StuffIt expander or MacRar to unpack.

Here are the links:

Black Grand Ambient Demo 1
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 2
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 3
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 4
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 5
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 6
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 7
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 8
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 9
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 10
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 11

Close and Medium Perspectives will follow shortly!
    Enjoy and let me hear your comments since last minute tweekings always fun...
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thumbs up Re: Black Grand Ambient Demo Available

O.K. I spent some time to compare the Black Grand, PMI´s "Old lady" and Milanaudio´s Steinway sample library based on the playable demos they provided.
    And the winner is.............The Black Grand. At least in my humble opinion. It has the best sound/playability/velocity response ratio. The Milanaudio Steinway sounds great but has too much ambience in the current version (though they will provide more perspectives as far as I know). The "Old Lady" is excellent in terms of sounds but I was not completely satisfied with the velocity responses. It was pretty hard to play in the p and pp range (I used a Kawai MP 9000 as a controler). The Black Grand was performing better in this aspect so I´m impatiently waiting for the release (if Hans Adamson´s Steinway won´t beat it...)

One remark and one question though: Both, the Black Grand and the Old Lady demos didn´t work with Halion 3. The program couldn´t find the samples, though they were all in the "sample folder". I tried the same thing with Halion 2 (which I still have on my Mac OS9 partition) and everything worked fine. Strange but I could reproduce the problem.
    Now the question: Will the final Black Grand release include several perspectives? If yes this will be an incredible product (in my opinion). Looking forward to the release.
    Best regards
    Raindog

Re: Black Grand Ambient Demo Available

Hi Raindog!

Glad you liked the demo.
    Both PMI's pianos and ours are among the best you can get at this moment (IMHO!), then it's a matter of taste if you prefer one or the other.

Yes, Black Grand will have three perspectives, this is the Ambient and there will also be a Close and a Medium Ambience.

These demos where made on HAL 2, but there will be HAL 3 versions available when it's released.

I'll check with Olivier if he could provide his great patches for the Black Grand.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Hi Raindog!
    Both PMI's pianos and ours are among the best you can get at this moment (IMHO!), then it's a matter of taste if you prefer one or the other.
    [snip...]
    I don't own any of your pianos (yet), but I certainly love the demos I've heard. One thing I'm a little puzzled about is that I don't really see any discussion anywhere about the Studio Grand 88 - the demos sound excellent.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    I don't own any of your pianos (yet), but I certainly love the demos I've heard. One thing I'm a little puzzled about is that I don't really see any discussion anywhere about the Studio Grand 88 - the demos sound excellent.

Greg.
    Yep, me too...
    The SG88 has 8 velocity layers pedal up and 8 pedal down, so in terms of dynamic playability, it's among the top pianos.
    Mind you, it doesn't have any releasesamples, but I've made a few tests using convoluting and impulses from pianos with VERY good results, so when GS3 is released, maybe the SG88 will have a renesance! Good price too, $95.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Ok - sounds good. Personally I don't think I really miss release samples much for acoustic pianos, but I would make the releases faster, at the very least.
    I learnt how much I liked fast piano releases way back when I owned a Kurzweil P1000 - it has very fast releases, and, with reverb, it works very well.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Yep, me too...
    The SG88 has 8 velocity layers pedal up and 8 pedal down, so in terms of dynamic playability, it's among the top pianos.
    Mind you, it doesn't have any releasesamples, but I've made a few tests using convoluting and impulses from pianos with VERY good results, so when GS3 is released, maybe the SG88 will have a renesance! Good price too, $95.
    Last edited by sullivang; 07-19-2004 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Very minor correction.

Go Back to forum