• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice about mix between headphones and speakers

Share/Bookmark

Advice about mix between headphones and speakers

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi,
    I'm looking for an advice about my final mix issues.
    I can't find an average between what I listen on my headphones (it seems low reverbered) and what I listen to my low-fi speakers (washed of reverb and sounds not so distinguished).
    I can't understand which one to believe to. How can I reach a reasonable average?
    How do you achieve that?

Thanks

Re: Advice about mix between headphones and speakers

Hi Lux,

Don't trust headphone mixes. I use headphones only for tracking. Most people do not listen over headphones. Do several mixes and try them on a wide variety of listening situations from the best you have access to, to your car to boom boxes or TV. The best mixes will sound good on the widest variety of playback equipment. Good luck.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.audiostreet.net/stevechandler
    http://www.soundclick.com/stevechandler

yes Steve, I also think I use headphones too much.

Thanks for your reply

Luca

…Although, I wouldn’t toss the headphones completely. Many times I find anomalies in my mix that I didn’t catch on my studio monitors. I use both to crosscheck.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by pantonality

Most people do not listen over headphones.
    I think with the growing popularity of the iPod and similar devices that statement may no longer be (as) true as it once was.

But I agree: headphones might sound great, but for mixing purposes, they're not going to give you anything remotely resembling 'reality.'

mmmhh, yes, I often get in trouble because with headphones I can hear single intrument lines, expecially on orchestral, but when passing to lo-fi computer speakers my bright mix become totally dead.
    Low quality speakers are really an issue, but they're the most used so I must consider them seriously.
    I' think I must begin mixing only on speakers, and playing on headphones (using them also as a crosscheck as Brian said).

If you're using consumer-grade computer speakers as reference monitors, then that might be a big problem. They color the sound so much that anything you hear through them is not what's really there.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Talking Re: Advice about mix between headphones and speakers

I also have this problem... i mostly do my music after 10pm so playing an orchestra thru speakres is not possible...i'm living in a flat.... so i use headphones and then remix using speakers... but it kills me takes sometines too long... especially considering a full orchestra pieces

just my two cents.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lux
    Low quality speakers are really an issue, but they're the most used so I must consider them seriously.
    Actually, no. You should not consider low-quality speakers, because they are low-quality no matter what you put into them.

You are best served with a set of flat, truthful, studio monitors that will accurately reflect what you're doing to the mix. Use headphones only for studio tracking and for double checking balance. Never for determining reverb levels.

Bruce

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    I also have this problem... i mostly do my music after 10pm so playing an orchestra thru speakres is not possible...i'm living in a flat
    One of the most basic mix techniques is to mix SOFTLY!! Everything sounds good loud. I would suggest using the speakers at a low volume level, and at night, do your section balancing work. When you can turn up to full performance volume, then do the tweaking.

You will get a lot more done this way than mixing on headphones, then completely remixing on speakers.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast